My wireless router has a reset button--sometimes it works--sometimes you just have to unplug the whole thing. But it is there for those moments when things just stop working properly and don't connect quickly. A handy thing the reset button.
All day today I've been hunting for my reset button. My emotions keep crashing and my mind won't stay connected to the work that I have left to do. I am feeling what Ragey had to say about this whole graduation/degree conferral situation, but I have to get my mind reset and refocused. I tried to take a day off from the computer, but I couldn't--it kept pulling me back. Still I wasn't able to work on the diss. So I spent some time tonight realigning my gen ed syllabus with the new textbook I'll be using in the fall. I discovered that I have an extra week in my syllabus--since the class is smaller I'll need fewer days for presentations. But then suddenly I felt overwhelmed with what to do for a whole week. I'm on the brink of being overwhelmed every minute it seems. I started looking for a part-time job today (since my funding runs out in May and alas I have bills)--and I was instantly overwhelmed by that process. My mom finally talked to her realtor friend in NewSchoolCity who promptly emailed me today with a bunch of listings and alas I'm feeling overwhelmed by the enormity of moving and finding a home I can afford. And of course, whenever I think about moving, especially today, I feel overwhelmed with the unknown of how this move will impact my relationship with Dr. J. I know that everything will work out find--the dissertation, the money, the move, the relationship. But today was unfortunately a day of emotional and mental overloads.
I just need to find my reset button. Tomorrow, thank God, is a new day. And while I hate putting off for tomorrow what can be done today, I know tomorrow I will be in better spirits and everything will feel a little more manageable. In the meantime, I gotta reset and rest up for what is to come.
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
January
(48)
- Knocking Down the Wall
- Press Reset
- My Very Own Word Cloud??
- Back in Action
- Hattie McDaniel Stamp Debuts
- Slow Start
- 3000, 300, 30, 3 and Other Ramblings
- Get. It. Done!
- Procrastinating--25 Questions
- Ok, So Revising Isn't Terrible
- Quiet Sunday
- Very Pleased Indeed
- Library Day
- Chapter Three Takes Shape
- Quiet Storm
- Sad but True
- Me? Graduate Faculty?
- Seven or Three--Three or Seven
- Chapter Five--OUT!
- Back in Action
- It's a Holiday--You Gotta Comment
- Dissertation Unplugged II
- Dissertation Unplugged
- TGIS
- Taking the Good with the Bad
- Broken
- Fading Fast
- Intermission
- Healthy Start
- Hair
- Closer
- Late
- Keep On Going
- Ants Marching
- Five Weird Things Meme
- Gotta Go
- Keep On Movin'
- Four Things Meme
- Goodbye Morning
- Testify!
- New Day
- Before I Let Go
- Work It Out
- Typical Situation
- Live and Learn
- 9 Week Philosophy
- Bum Day
- New Year, Same Grind
-
▼
January
(48)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
sleeping often works as a reset for me. I hope today is a better day.
I have these moments all of the time lately, by the way.
Did you find your button? I have days like this, too - don't we all? Sometimes I sleep; sometimes I read something totally unrelated to my work; sometimes I take long walks; sometimes I chuck everything and go to a movie. Then, like you said, the next day dawns and, if I'm lucky, I'm all set to go again.
You'll get back on-line, you know that, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. Just take things one at a time, and try to enjoy the excitement of all this change - I mean, yeah, a new place to live? A whole week to do what you wish with your students? A brand new start? This is fantastic! (even if it is a little scary at the same time).
We're right there with you, Mon!
Prof Me--You are definitely my twin one time zone over. Thank you for the encouragement and the practical help through this fog.
1B*--abd me--Today is a better day and I feel back online. Dr. J is constantly telling me to be excited about the future so thank you for the reminders. I have so much to be thankful for and I'm glad I can add ur encouragement to that list.
Post a Comment