Broken

I am blessed to have been surrounded by older women all my life. For most of my childhood into my teen years, my family tree has been full of great-grandmothers, great- and greatgreat-aunts, and grandmas. My great grandmother on my mother's side was one of my favorite relatives--I miss her dearly--she passed in 1996 at the age of 91. Last year, we lost one of my great aunts--she died at the age of 101. This week I learned one of my aunts on my grandfather's side passed--I believe she was in her 80s. Even in the losses we've been blessed to have so much time with these women, who lived long lives but who were independent and self-sufficient and mentally sharp even into their last days.

Now both of my grandmothers are in their 80s. They live alone and they love their independence. They are both smart and funny women who have seen the ugly histories of the South and are still able to laugh and live and praise--even about the past. Neither tries to drive or anything like that, but they both take care of themselves and their homes and they maintain healthy social lives through their churches and neighborhoods (and soap operas--they both love the "stories"). I think that is wonderful. But either because they have reached a certain age, or because I have reached my mid20s and now feel more "responsible" and "sensitive"--I worry about them a lot. I pray for them and I know that God will take care of them better than I can, but my heart still worries. Worries that some evil person in this world will try to take advantage of them--or that their bodies will fail them before their mind does. And it's happening. My Grandma that lives 45 minutes away, fell this morning--I'm not sure how or where--and broke her leg. I don't have a ton of information, I just found out about 45 minutes ago and couldn't go back to sleep. I'm glad she's ok and that she had help--I know many older adults fall alone and no one knows. I'm especially worried because she had a stroke years ago while driving and had a terrible car accident in which she injured her hip. She never regained full mobility of that side, and as her arthritis has gotten worse over the years she has to use a walker to get around, so this is going to increase her difficulties moving about. I know she'll be okay--she has an amazing strength and her spirit is always cheerful. All I can do now is pray.

2 comments:

fin said...

hugs for you.

RageyOne said...

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your family and your grandmother's broken leg. I know how hard it is to lose someone so close in the family or to see them in such a fragile state. Be strong, pray, and take of yourself as you they are in you and continue to live on through you.