So much to do, so little time on the dissertation front. I am still missing a book I need for Chapter Three--I have to call ILL today and see if they've had any luck retrieving it. So for the moment, Chapter Three is mostly done--the sections are complete--but I have to get this book to fill in some critical holes. So at some point today, I'll be back to work writing Chapter Seven.
In other dissertation news, I have 24 days left to possibly get this done in graduate in May. I am slowly resigning myself to August graduation. It sucks because I'll still probably defend late March/early April, but I'll miss the May graduation by the skin on my teeth. I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but this new reality coincides with other dissertation news--CoChair #2 has emerged from the dead to announce that I should be ready to defend by April 1. I haven't really blogged a lot about the CoChair situation for the sake of propriety but let's just say the relationship hasn't been as impressive as I had hoped. CoChair #2, who does provide great feedback when I get it, has been somewhat MIA. Not for weeks--but for months--I'm talking since the major conference in November. Now that she is back in the land of the living, it is on my agenda to see if I can get her on the phone today to find out how much revising I'm going to have to do for her. Oh, I need to cross out a revise line because I have gotten through all my latest revisions for CoChair #1 since our last phone conversation.
In professional news, I got a big package from my institution today of all the mail that has been piling up in my box. I guessed they realized that when I left I meant it. Now here is what bugs me. On all of my correspondences with schools during the job search process, I put down my home address as my primary contact. But apparently, in the interests of being overly professional, a number of schools responded to my office address--the office way up North that I haven't seen in months. Fortunately, most of the mail was the ol' affirmative action cards--the schools that wanted to interview all contacted me personally thank goodness. But there was one rejection letter that just recently arrived this month. It was not a surprise--it was from the only other school that I applied to in the Southeast that I would have considered. But it is an R1 and in the end I decided that wasn't for me right now. Some folks had indicated to me that I should have held out until I knew about that position, but I thought that was just silly. And I'm glad I followed my gut. It was good confirmation to know that I took the position that was meant for me.
Ok. So today's to-do list is more practical than it is dissertation-productive.
- Cleaning and unpacking type stuff still to do.
- Catch up with the gang, like ABDmom, ProfMe, abd me, and Ragey, I hope all is well--I missed reading blogs this week! (Yes my name is Mon and I'm addicted to blogs.)
- Call CoChairs #1 and #2 to make sure we're all on the same wavelength again.
- Put a dent in Chapter Seven.
3 comments:
Well, I think you can make the May graduation date because you are the beacon of industriousness for all graduate students. However, there is that small issue of sanity to consider! Good luck getting it all done, however it works out. Great to have you back!
Keep pushing for the May date. You may make it if you keep trying as hard as your. If not, don't feel too bad. You will have accomplished a lot in life no matter when the final degree is conferred.
I missed you ladies this weekend! I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement--and most important your shared sense of this dissertation burden. Hope you all have a wonderfully productive week.
Post a Comment