The weird thing about returning to a "normal" life is that I now feel like I am constantly forgetting to do something. What is really missing from my life suddenly is that overwhelming sense of urgency. Take this moment for example. I just got off of work and realized I have nowhere I HAVE to go or anything I HAVE to do right now. So I'm blogging. Funny. I think I'm going to end up at the mall again--other side of town--to pick up something for mom for Mother's Day. Her birthday is early June so I always get her perfume for one or the other. And trust me--she looks forward to her new perfume more than anything. Last year I got her Vera Wang which she LOVED--that may be her favorite so far. I hope there is something new out because I've run through quite a few with her (and of course I can't get her anything I'm currently wearing). We'll see--it's just kinda nice and kinda weird to have such a normal, leisurely afternoon ahead.
Oh, in other news, Dr. J decided to submit a national paper to my conference since he was planning to go with me anyways. His paper was accepted so that was a bright bit of news in light of yesterday's fellowship news. Now he is officially "international" as his sister said (meaning interdisciplinary) . As the stars would have it of course, I find out that one of my papers did not get accepted. My luck with Major National Conference is always hit or miss. This past November I had four--the year before zero. I still have one more paper under review--hopefully it will land. Either way we're going to have a good time and not do a whole lot of conferencing anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
May
(29)
- Jus a Lil' Work
- How Blue Am I?
- Little Dissertation Matters
- Summertime
- Better or Worse?
- Lazy Day Saturday
- Revelation(s)
- By Request
- The Whirlwind
- After
- Before
- D-Fence!
- Back 2 Life
- Over Already
- Beautiful
- Too Early
- Finally
- More Defense Thoughts
- Intimidating Myself
- Gettin Ready
- Rare Sight
- Something's Missing
- Oh Dear
- Eyes WIDE Open
- Recovery, Normalcy, & Anticipation
- Whew!
- Plot Twist--Hiatus
- No, I'm Not Through
- The End Is the Beginning (Is the End)
-
▼
May
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Hey Mon - give Dr. J a BIG HUG for me! Grants/ fellowships are similar to publishing...translation: it's a crap shoot! ;)
Enjoy your “down time!” YOU DESERVE IT! I’m so excited you two get to take a vacation together!!!
Hugs,
Jude
Post a Comment