Revelation(s)

Recent revelations in my post-defense glow.
  • I'm tired. As in fatigued/exhausted/drained/pooped. I am sleeping well at night now, but I need more sleep. I am going to take a nap today--even if it means turning off every form of communication in this house.

  • I know too many people. Everytime I think I'm done informing folks of the PhD news, I think of someone else to contact. Related revelation--I need to send out a more formal announcement (especially since my mother has already told her friends to expect something in the mail from me).

  • I am starting to experience withdrawal. Dissertation withdrawal. It is weird to have been married to this project all year and then suddenly have no need to "work on it." I predict that I will have read through this thing for typos before the end of next week, just because I am starting to--dare I say--miss it. What a weird dysfunctional relationship this is! Just two weeks ago, I wanted to bury it in the backyard or something so I wouldn't have to look at it.

  • A thesis defense is not about the details. I wish I had known that going in.

  • I need to figure out what to do about this whole academic regalia thing. I know I'm going to want it for later. Should I try to buy now or just rent? Is it "ok" to purchase a gown from a place other than the major supplier my institution uses? I think I just want a plain black one with my hood color rather than the $600 one my institution has designed in its colors and insignias and all that. Would I be violating some doctoral gown etiquette?

  • This could be a very, very busy summer. I need to make a concerted effort to resist that.

3 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Regalia: You may not need it later. My university pays the rental fees for all faculty who need to wear regalia for graduation.

melyssa said...

ok, i've been out of town and out of the loop.

first off, big big congrats on finishing the dissertation and being a PhD ... so happy for you.

two, you're going to have to fill me in on this details not being part of the thesis thing. i need all the advice i can get. i'm currently working on chapter 2 in hopes of being finished by summer's end.

and lastly ... congrats again!! that is so so awesome!!

phd me said...

I can relate to the fatigued/exhausted/drained/pooped brand of tired. I'm still recovering from my dissertation and it's been almost three months! Such a blend of mental and physical exertion.

Per regalia: I bought my (exorbitantly priced) robes and I'm glad I did it. I felt quite special during my graduation, and I'm definitely going to stand out in all future ceremonies. I think you can get whatever you like, really; there were lots of different robes coming across the stage at my hooding ceremony.

Good luck resisting all the claims on your time. You deserve a rest!