More Defense Thoughts
This morning I learned that my other paper did get accepted into Major National Conference--cool. I also got to read the reviews of the paper that was rejected. Most of the reviews I agree with. I had attempted to slim down my first case study into a paper and I didn't do a great job. That chapter hadn't yet gone through revisions so it wasn't the most coherent paper in the world--it needed some reorganization and the reviewers indicated as much. Cool. Also, I'm creating in my dissertation an entire new way to look at Black women in my field--so at least one reviewer indicated they needed to hear more about my framework. Understandable. The first review was completely unproductive for me--it had no detailed comments--just one sentence that said "this paper would have been good if the author had used an accepted method." Very frustrating. I am so tired of arguing why the "accepted" methods in my field don't work because they do not take into account the realities of race AND gender. I know that I have to do this work, but it is a never ending uphill battle. My entire dissertation is based on an unconventional methodological perspective for my field and that just increases my anxiety going into the defense. This is one of the areas in which my feedback on the diss has been really vague and to further answer timna's question--this is yet another reason why my thoughts about the defense are not 100% positive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
May
(29)
- Jus a Lil' Work
- How Blue Am I?
- Little Dissertation Matters
- Summertime
- Better or Worse?
- Lazy Day Saturday
- Revelation(s)
- By Request
- The Whirlwind
- After
- Before
- D-Fence!
- Back 2 Life
- Over Already
- Beautiful
- Too Early
- Finally
- More Defense Thoughts
- Intimidating Myself
- Gettin Ready
- Rare Sight
- Something's Missing
- Oh Dear
- Eyes WIDE Open
- Recovery, Normalcy, & Anticipation
- Whew!
- Plot Twist--Hiatus
- No, I'm Not Through
- The End Is the Beginning (Is the End)
-
▼
May
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
2 comments:
I know you are limiting how much you say on here, but I am really curious about these "unconventional methodological" perspectives, partly because I too use methodologies that are uncommon in my field (although fairly common in some other fields). It sounds like you are confident about your choices which will help you in the end.
I think it is great that you are using new or different methodologies. We shouldn't all do the same thing and one would think your committee (& colleagues) would be open to something different. I mean, why should things be done as they always have been? I really dislike it when folks think something should be done in a particular way just because that is what previous folks have done. How about some change?
Post a Comment