Little Dissertation Matters
I woke up this morning feeling motivated to get back to work. I did read a few interesting books this weekend, but after so much eating and sleeping, I think my body was ready to burn off some calories this morning. Being at the library this morning went by quickly, so I headed back to my "old" spot in the coffeeshop after work to continue the final proof on the diss. I finished going through the hard copy with my pen and the markups from CoChair#1 and Major Field Expert. So starting tomorrow, I can enter those changes into the computer. (Knowing me, I'll probably start today). It looks pretty good. CoChair #1, Major Field Expert, and I, generally speaking, caught different errors, so I feel like the document will be pretty clean. But in the process of doing all that, I realized that I still need to finish writing my acknowledgements and my abstract. I drafted a page of acknowledgements one night when I was really struggling with the diss--it reads like I'm giving an acceptance speech at the Academy Awards, so I need to clean it up quite a bit. I don't have anything started on the abstract, and I REALLY hate writing abstracts. It is mostly because it is a writing exercise I don't feel comfortable doing--and I generally feel most comfortable when I'm writing. I guess I feel that as a member of the liberal arts side of my department, I didn't get as much experience in writing abstracts as my social scientific peers. Perhaps that is something I will incorporate more into my teaching--making sure my students get practice in creating abstracts for the research papers they submit. In any event, I'll get on that this week as well so I can just be done--really done--with the diss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
May
(29)
- Jus a Lil' Work
- How Blue Am I?
- Little Dissertation Matters
- Summertime
- Better or Worse?
- Lazy Day Saturday
- Revelation(s)
- By Request
- The Whirlwind
- After
- Before
- D-Fence!
- Back 2 Life
- Over Already
- Beautiful
- Too Early
- Finally
- More Defense Thoughts
- Intimidating Myself
- Gettin Ready
- Rare Sight
- Something's Missing
- Oh Dear
- Eyes WIDE Open
- Recovery, Normalcy, & Anticipation
- Whew!
- Plot Twist--Hiatus
- No, I'm Not Through
- The End Is the Beginning (Is the End)
-
▼
May
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
I tried to write an Abstract in April and although I completed it, I found it frustrating. Trying to get all that subtlety into one paragraph! (ok, it can be longer, but not much!) But I think it also helps me to distill the Really Important Points of my work. I'll have to write another one once my revisions are done.
Post a Comment