I've received two emails this week from a colleague in College Town--a PhD student in the cohort after mine. She's preparing for her comps and was hoping I'd be willing to share some insight on a question that I had to respond to (most people don't respond to this question because it was created by someone who isn't on many committees). Anyways, in the course of this correspondence, I learn several things:
1) There is "talk" of my defense all around the department. Ok--not a huge program, not surprising. But I was liking the idea of quietly slipping into College Town to have my defense and then coming back home. Apparently, that's not going to happen. Ugh. I can't even completely articulate how I feel about this. Ugh.
2) I am defending before quite a few ABD'rs in my area. This was news largely because the person who emailed me listed all the names of the ABD folks and I didn't really even recognize that THAT many people were dissertating in my area. I wish I had known--I could have started an online support group or something! There are basically two people in that group who I'm in semi-regular contact with and I thought one of them would be defending before me--she finished before I did--but her date was pushed back because of someone's schedule (ugh). So what is really sinking in is that I'm going first. When I defended my comps there were several us going at the same time--same thing with the dissertation proposal. But this time--it looks like I'm going first. The obvious advantage is that I won't be compared to anyone else (in the immediate sense) and I'm trying to just think of it in those terms. But it feel intimidating to not be able to ask anyone else--well how was it--what did they ask. I'm in the position of testing the waters for everybody else. Interesting.
3) My comps answers have a gained a reputation. That is the most intimidating news of all. I worked really hard preparing for comps, and I am glad that I was able to put together some good responses under those conditions (four hours in a little room with no notes for about a week--yuck). But it is so intimidating to learn that professors are telling other grad students to go look up my answers. That's the kind of thing I need to hear about after I graduate. Because right now, I don't know if my dissertation lives up to that level of work. I could say more but my head is still wrapping around this one. My gut feeling is that I need to step my game up for this dissertation defense because right now I am not at the level I was for comps. And suddenly I'm intimidated by little ol' me. Weird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
May
(29)
- Jus a Lil' Work
- How Blue Am I?
- Little Dissertation Matters
- Summertime
- Better or Worse?
- Lazy Day Saturday
- Revelation(s)
- By Request
- The Whirlwind
- After
- Before
- D-Fence!
- Back 2 Life
- Over Already
- Beautiful
- Too Early
- Finally
- More Defense Thoughts
- Intimidating Myself
- Gettin Ready
- Rare Sight
- Something's Missing
- Oh Dear
- Eyes WIDE Open
- Recovery, Normalcy, & Anticipation
- Whew!
- Plot Twist--Hiatus
- No, I'm Not Through
- The End Is the Beginning (Is the End)
-
▼
May
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
5 comments:
In my opinion, the dissertation defense is similar to all the other hoops you have jumped through thus far...translation: a mental mind f*#%! Every one knows you do quality work, hence the reason why students have been advised to read your comprehensive exams. :) Also, keep in mind that your committee would NOT have agreed to a defense date if your document wasn’t defensible. A friend of mine asked about my defense, so she could start preparing for hers....I chocked & left my meeting feeling defeated and exhausted! I was SO stressed, barely slept the night before and couldn’t eat the morning of, which is a huge mistake for me. I freaked myself out and as a result, I did not do as well as I hoped...or as well as I had done in the past (i.e., comps, proposal defense). Personally, the BEST thing you can do is remain as calm, centered and composed as possible. I’m going to sound like a broken record, but you know your work better than anyone else in that room. I was told the dissertation defense is like a ‘conversation’....that your committee members want to sit around and talk about your wonderful ideas and possible future directions, sprinkled with their perspectives/ thoughts/ opinions, etc.
Enjoy your time with Dr. J! A little *down-time* before the big day will do you a world of good. You will have plenty of time to prepare for your defense once you return.
Hugs,
Jude
Is there any reason to think your defense would not go smoothly? Seriously, it's your party, do what you want to. The questions will be meant to let you shine, for you to tell others why and how your work is uniquely important. And questions that even slightly suggest that you might need to do something else or different -- adjust, check if that fits your agenda, if not, tell them why not.
While rehearsal and preparation may help you calm down, look at the horizon and remember what you've done and what you have to share with that audience that is coming to hear *you*.
have a good weekend!
Thanks for the empathy ProfMe and Jude you KNOW I love hearing from you and take your advice very seriously. You know the personalities I'm dealing with. I am trying to take some time to relax--I promise. Dr. J has given me instructions that while he is in the conference, I should be on the beach somewhere with a pretty drink!
Timna--you asked the ultimate question--Is there any reason to think your defense would not go smoothly? And the answer is Yes--personalities. I haven't looked at the revised document and I think that is a source of my growing angst as well--once I see it I'll know better just how strong it is. But to be quite honest, I do feel like there are personal issues in the way that could keep the defense from going smoothly.
It is very strange to me that other students can watch your defense. No one aside from my committee and the outside examiner will be in the room during my defense; no one else is even allowed!
This may not be that great of a pep talk, but as someone who had a disastrous proposal defense: no matter what happens, you will get through it. Yes, they may fuck with you (pardon my bluntness--I try to leave the cursing on my blog). By the end, you may feel completely beaten-down. You may have to fight to keep from totally collapsing into hysterical tears. They may ask you to do further revisions that are completely unjustified. All of the above were true for me at the proposal defense.
But the one thing they WILL NOT do is fail you. No matter what the personal issues are, to fail you would make them look bad at this point (ie, how did they let their student get so far?). You will pass, you will have the PhD, and then you can determine the role you want them to have in your professional life.
I know a proposal defense and a diss defense aren't the same thing, but they are similar enough for me to able to say to you, look at me. That defense did take a huge toll on my psyche, I have to admit. But I got through it and got over it. No matter what happens, you will, too. You are tough, and you can do this!
PS: Remind me of all of this when I am freaking out about my defense come late June. :)
Thanks for the words ABDmom--I believe our defense is closed as well but I don't really know--Jude?? I am doing my best to embrace the truth of your comments. (And I'll definitely be here for you when your time comes).
Post a Comment