I have done way too much retail therapy this week trying to pass the time until today.
It began at Old Navy. 8 tops from Old Navy (a turquoise shirt not pictured--in the laundry already), 2 tanks and a polo from Banana Republic, 4 tops from Express (all the colors didn't translate well--especially the 4 on the right from Express which are gray, royal blue, light green and lavender).
The damage at Express continued with three button up tops--they are not all white--two of them have different color stripes and two new pairs of jeans. They have this nice lightweight fabric that makes them perfect for people like me who really don't like to wear shorts very often. I bought the two sleeveless button-ups for classes thinking that they might do well in the hot days of early fall with a light jacket or maybe even jacketless. *Can I wear sleeveless stuff as a prof?? I never did as a grad student instructor so I'm unsure about that one*The last clothing purchase was a real find--a pair of brown pinstripe pants from Ann Taylor LOFT. Being that I am very slim and very short--but with a lil junk in the trunk--I have a hard time finding pants that fit. These fit GREAT and they were marked down significantly--I am a new fan of Ann Taylor and they will be seeing me again when my finances recover.
Oh and there's more. Some treats from Best Buy for me and Dr. J. (Alias Season 2 for me--a new CD for him).
I haven't really purchased everyday summer clothes since college--didn't have much use for a bunch of Tshirts in College Town. So now my summer wardrobe is beefed up to survive the sweatbox that is New School City. (I did purchase some tanks and shorts for my cruise last summer so the shirts really round things out). Today I'm going to purge out the summer stuff I've had since like 2000. But truly it is a good thing that today is finally here because I can't afford the waiting.

6 comments:
I would definitely wear you out with my shopping--my best friend and I can go at it all day! But what can I say, I work hard, play hard, and definitely shop hard!
I love Ann Talyor Loft! It is my new favorite store! That's where I purchased my white outfit from for the white party I'm attending in a few weeks.
I love sleeveless tops and I always wear them, including when I was teaching. I've seen profs wear them as well.
Ohhhhh - I have several of those Laua pants (not in petite, though). They really do fit well.
Ahhhh... a shopper after my own heart. Have a wonderful vacation!!
Re: sleeveless tops: I'm not totally sure about the propriety of this one myself, but I wear them because during certain months (and in certain classrooms) I get too damn hot otherwise. But I try always to wear them with trousers, to minimize the skin exposure, and I sometimes make a feeble effort to at least arrive at the classroom wearing a cardigan or a jacket--except then I feel like I'm stripping when I take it off!
Obviously, I've given this waaaaay too much thought...
LL I wonder about the same things. Maybe it is partly institutional culture--I know sleeveless stuff wouldn't fly at my undergrad. At my grad school, I worked with a lot of student groups and they would talk about prof's dress all the time--female students seemed especially annoyed by profs who wore revealing types of attire. But it is really hot in New School City so I imagine it would be ok. I'll find out soon enough!
Post a Comment