Dr. J went to bed early last night so since we weren't talking, I had some extra energy to make some major adjustments to my Course #1 syllabus and to start reading through the new textbook. I've taught this course a million times before, but I'm using a new book this time around. I'm really excited about this whole "you can teach from whatever book you like" thing about being a professor. I made the decision to switch based on the 2nd edition of this neat handbook/textbook, but they just came out with the 3rd edition and sent it to me--I really like the 3rd edition (how nerdy!). I'm pushing myself to change this class to take advantage of the fact that this will be the smallest class I've ever taught. I think the adjustments I've made to the course schedule thus far are moving in that direction. But I know I'm going to have to change a few assignments and class activities as well.
So today's task include finishing the thoughts I started last night on that course design and typing up the changes to the diss. I'll probably unplug the laptop and work in front of the TV. I know that everybody in the world wants me to slow down and not work so much, but slowing down is difficult when I've been going, going, going at this school thing for 20 years now. It is equally difficult to express the freedom that I'm starting to experience in doing the things that I want to do--when I want to do them. I feel like doing some work today--so I will. If I don't feel like working for the rest of the week--the cool thing is--that's okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
May
(29)
- Jus a Lil' Work
- How Blue Am I?
- Little Dissertation Matters
- Summertime
- Better or Worse?
- Lazy Day Saturday
- Revelation(s)
- By Request
- The Whirlwind
- After
- Before
- D-Fence!
- Back 2 Life
- Over Already
- Beautiful
- Too Early
- Finally
- More Defense Thoughts
- Intimidating Myself
- Gettin Ready
- Rare Sight
- Something's Missing
- Oh Dear
- Eyes WIDE Open
- Recovery, Normalcy, & Anticipation
- Whew!
- Plot Twist--Hiatus
- No, I'm Not Through
- The End Is the Beginning (Is the End)
-
▼
May
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
2 comments:
I think the most important things is your happiness. If others don't understand your need to keep busy, then that's their loss at seeing you for who you are.
It just so happens that you are used to a busy lifestyle, school will do that to ya! :>) As long as you are not overstressed, then all is good!
Yesterday as I was coming home from work (I was working at school), I thought, I could just not work anymore today. But there are good books I want to look over and I'm still thinking, and, like you say, as long as I'm not stressed, why not?
Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever find good borders between work and other life, but it's hard to see where one stops and the other begins. I'm always thinking. (and this is 3 years after defending/completing the diss, so give yourself more than a week!
Post a Comment