- Revisions: They sucks. But they continue.
- Mentors: I'm blessed to have a few in different areas--the only reason why I stayed in graduate school was because of the wonderful people who supported me through. My favorite mentor from my undergraduate days, Dr. M, has been in touch and we have a phone date soon. I'm very excited to hear how she is enjoying her sabbatical. And of course, I'm looking forward to her insight on this process as she knows the school and the folks I'm dealing with VERY well. I also had the opportunity to see one of my sorority's national officers yesterday who was like a mama to me when I was up North--that was very cool--I miss her dearly.
- Construction: Umm, isn't it Tuesday? Why is there still banging? I stalled coming home today just to avoid the noise--they were supposed to be here this morning. But of course "sorry ma'am, we got a late start today." Geez.
- It's Hard Out There...: For regular folks livin in the city. Take yesterday's mysterious power outage in my neighborhood. The power went out around 2:00 and stayed out until 6:00pm. Nobody had a reason and nobody seemed to be in a hurry to come over here and fix it. There was no big city wide problem slowing down repair folks. But I live in the city limits--not the suburbs--things just always "happen" to take longer to fix over here. And of course, the nearest traffic light on our side of the tracks (literally) still isn't working 24 hours later.
- Moment of Silence: For Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the King family. Dr. King was assassinated today--almost forty years ago now. My how time has passed. My how much progress and how many setbacks we've seen since.
- Happy Month-aversary: I met Dr. J eight months ago today. It feels like yesterday but yet feels like I've known him all my life at the same time. I've never been big on dates and anniversaries and all that, but every day with him feels like a cause for celebration. I had no idea it could be this good to be in love.
- Voting--Is it bad that my favorite part of voting is getting the sticker that says "I Voted"???
Mon's Random Bullets
I don't know who started this trend. After losing a lengthy post last night, I'm going to plagiarize the random bullets of crap method....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
April
(42)
- Good Sunday Meme
- I Mean Really Hurts
- My Brain Hurts
- De-Lurkin
- Puzzled
- Nursin
- Mon, This is Your Life
- Wikipedia Meme
- Home Sweet Home
- Well
- Still Survivin
- Survivin
- Good News, Bad News
- And One More Thing--
- Have You Seen a Few Hours?
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Not Happenin
- Not So Bright
- Much Better
- Rain Rain Go Away
- The REALLY Dead Women Writers Meme
- Chipping Away
- Day Off
- A Sorta Google Meme
- Here, Again
- On the Brink
- Constant Supervision
- Friday Poetry
- Canons and Ghettos (a preface)
- Canons and Ghettos...
- Not Really a Wall...
- Mad Real World
- In The Plantation
- Women Writers (pre-1800)
- I Want to Get Away
- Finally
- Friday Poem
- Frazzled
- D-Day?
- Mon's Random Bullets
- New Week
- Sick and Tired
-
▼
April
(42)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
Re: It's hard out there...
Word to this! As you know, I live in a historically black neighborhood that, although a very stable and very secure community, is still economically challenged and still 85% minority. A year or so ago there was a major phone service failure in my neighborhood. How long do you think it took to restore service? SEVEN FULL DAYS. No joke. You can't tell me that it wouldn't have been fixed within 24 or 48 hours if it had been one of the city's neighboring higher-rent districts.
But, congrats on the anniversary!
Hey Mon, I haven't commented in a while, but I'm still reading. You just keep up the pace. The revisions may be painful, but they are the only thing between you and that degree. I'm just patiently waiting for your big announcement that it's all finally done, so I can crack open a bottle of bubbly in your honor.
Plod, plod, plod... there's a big splash at the end. I promise.
Oh... meant to add. Congratulations on still being in love. It's a wonderful thing!
Post a Comment