On the Brink

It occurs to me suddenly.

I think I'm on the edge of losing my mind.

Maybe it is because my work day got off to a bad start. The seemingly simple task of inserting a preface into this beast resulted in all types of formatting and file organization issues. Because the thesis formatting program does not have a preface or Chapter Zero setting, the preface is now considered by the program to be Chapter One. Fine--except that it totally screws up the numbering of all of my figures and tables. So now, for example, the first figure in the real Chapter One is actually numbered Figure 2-1. Now common sense would say, well Mon, just go type over the figure numbers, but guess what, every time I save/update the file and the table of contents, they switch back. So I have to go back and reinsert them into the program by order of appearance rather than by chapter. Sigh. Fortunately, there are not that many, but at some point tonight when I'm less aggravated, I have to go back and take out all the graphics and put them back in for the program to work with me rather than against me.

The more and more I read through these revisions--the more and more I consider the work I have to pull off in the next week--the closer I feel to the brink of insanity. The usual remedies are in place, prayer, talking to Dr. J, eating, slowing down, breathing, taking one piece at a time. So I'm still moving forward. But it is disconcerting to know that if I push too hard right now, I might, quite simply, lose it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so close. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I sympathize so very much. I remember going through my revisions, fighting with formatting issues, and feeling the same way. It sounds like you're coping really well to me. You absolutely can do it! Hang in there - I'm saying a prayer for you. I know it's really hard.

phd me said...

On the edge? Honey, you're way over. Anyone who chooses to write a dissertation lost her marbles a long time ago! (Sorry, attempt at humor.) Seriously, formatting will take anyone to the brink of insanity; I can't tell you how many times I had to redo the pagination and rework the formatting - there was much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair. Try to take as many breaks as you can; breath deeply; and feel free to scream a few times!

Mon said...

Thanks for the words everyone--keep em comin!! Doc you are crackin me up over here--and you killin me LOL!