De-Lurkin

I think I've been lurking on my own blog--if that's possible. I've been reading the usual folks while feeling quite uninspired to write anything of my own. I guess I just don't want to talk about the dissertation right now. I'm sick of this process. Revisions are still going forward--it was definitely a six-week plus job that I crazily tried to pack into three. Slowly but surely I'll be done and we'll all find out when the new defense date will be. (CoChair #2 by the way is once again gone incognito on me so who knows). But bottom line is probably that I'm just plain sick of it. Revisions have sucked the joy out of the project for the time being because now I'm just doing things to please other people that in a number of ways take away from the original spirit of the process. I am not looking forward to even reading through this before I send it off again. Oh well, what can you do? It's not like I didn't know this might happen, but of course I hoped it wouldn't. Ugh, I shouldn't write about this--major mood killer.

Moving along from a happier place. It was finally a beautiful day here--spent some time with my Grandma. Dr. J is traveling to his sister's who just bought a beautiful new home. She lives in an Artsy Southern City that I've never visisted. If I had finished revisions when I was supposed to, I was going to go with him to help her move. Kinda sad about that but of course he assures me we'll have plenty of trips there in the future. So tonight I'm home working on getting the preface and intro in shape. There are some things I definitely can't do without another trip to the library--I have to completely redo a section in the intro--it needs entirely new literature. My plan is to do a lot of footnoting because at this point I am not interested in writing my dissertation into a whole new subfield. So tomorrow will be a library day. It's the end of the semester so a lot of the books I need are checked out but hopefully I can round up enough sources to sound credible. Back to work.

1 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Hang in there, Mon. It'll all be over soon enough. Then you can spend some time forgetting it, long enough to look back on it all nostalgically. And, when you finally have the courage to reread your dissertation, you'll be pleasantly surprised that so much of it really is good. It's never as bad in the end as it feels on the journey.