Finally, I have some time off from work. It is just a day but it is just in time. It was so nice to sleep in a little and wake up this morning to the sound of Dr. J's voice rather than my alarm. I have all sorts of plans to chip away at my revisions today--hopefully I can knock out a chapter or two while also getting started on some spring cleaning. I have been dying to do a purge on my closet to get rid of some of these winter clothes I haven't worn in years. There is especially no need for me to truck all these thick bulky sweaters from the mountains of the Northeast down to New School City where the average highs stay around 55-60 degrees in the winter. Plus, cleaning out my closet now means that I have more space to go shopping later! I really would like to invest in some warm-weather teaching clothes. As a matter of fact, I need a whole teaching-image upgrade because the nice outfits and boots routine I usually rock is going to be quite warm for this place. The overwhelming majority of my teaching clothes are black or gray--this will be a good time to add some more color and some lighter fabrics into my professional wardrobe. Average highs for the first couple months of fall in New School City--low to mid 80s. I could definitely use some more nice shirts and slacks--and cute shoes that are not boots. I may even look for some...skirts. But I'll save the shopping sprees (and subsequent talk of shopping) for after I get done with the defense (sigh). Well maybe one preliminary trip next week after I finish revisions??
Back to work!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
April
(42)
- Good Sunday Meme
- I Mean Really Hurts
- My Brain Hurts
- De-Lurkin
- Puzzled
- Nursin
- Mon, This is Your Life
- Wikipedia Meme
- Home Sweet Home
- Well
- Still Survivin
- Survivin
- Good News, Bad News
- And One More Thing--
- Have You Seen a Few Hours?
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Not Happenin
- Not So Bright
- Much Better
- Rain Rain Go Away
- The REALLY Dead Women Writers Meme
- Chipping Away
- Day Off
- A Sorta Google Meme
- Here, Again
- On the Brink
- Constant Supervision
- Friday Poetry
- Canons and Ghettos (a preface)
- Canons and Ghettos...
- Not Really a Wall...
- Mad Real World
- In The Plantation
- Women Writers (pre-1800)
- I Want to Get Away
- Finally
- Friday Poem
- Frazzled
- D-Day?
- Mon's Random Bullets
- New Week
- Sick and Tired
-
▼
April
(42)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
6 comments:
I love it when I get to wake up naturally and not to an alarm. Sometimes those days are much more productive to me. It means I've gotten enough rest.
I hope you have a productive day!
ooh, I am also thinking about what fashion persona i'm going to adopt when i start teaching in the fall. right now, i wear mostly black ensembles with nice scarves, funky accessories and cool jewellery. might have to stay that way! though i am definitely going to rock the a-line skirts (fits my body type best.
shopping is the best part! reward yourself with some next week!
I'm giggling at seeing "back to work" at the end of a post about a day off. :) I knew what you meant, back to work on non-dissertation tasks, but it was still cute.
I totally need to clean out my closet, too. I admire your ability to focus time off on something else productive. I like to spend time off just... not doing productive things! I need to do more productive things that are non-school related. *sigh*
I'm jealous of the NSC's weather ... especially if it gives you an excuse to go shopping! I've hung onto heavy sweaters from my undergrad days in the event that I might end up somewhere really cold after finishing at Decent U.
I'm with you on needing an image upgrade! My graduate student wardrobe is not up to the transition to assistant professor wardrobe in any way, shape or form. I'll need to do some serious shopping this summer, right when I won't have an income. Yikes!
Don't forget to tell us all about your preliminary shopping!
Alright alright--you don't have to pull my leg--I'll blog more about shopping!! My favorite pasttime has been severely neglected of late so I look forward to just being in a mall soon (isn't that terrible)! I have some giftcards from Christmas that really need to be spent already. Rachel--I need to invest in some accessorie too. And Prof Me, I own one skirt that I bought last year that I love--so I'm going to try to be adventurous and buy another one soon.
Post a Comment