Nursin

I'm still nursin my tummy quite a bit--I got a lil too ambitous with dinner and paid for it, but I'm feelin okay. Good enough to do some work. Only allowed myself three hours to work tonight and that was plenty to finish Chapter Three and start butcherin Chapter Five. I'm not happy about Five at all--I orginially wrote it as a seminar paper for CoChair #2 and never got any feedback on it. The longer it sits with me, the less I like it--it's my least favorite chapter in the piece. I had hoped to get some more direction on how to make it better but well--you know the story. Now I feel like I'm startin from scratch which is why I left this as the last content chapter to revise. I realized tonight what I really need to do to fix it and it sucks--I need to rewrite some significant portions of the analysis. I'm gonna try to cut and paste as much as I can tomorrow. Slowly I'm nursin myself and this dissertation back to health.

3 comments:

Texter said...

I hope you feel better.

As for the lack of feedback, I couldn't tell whether this is a common experience of ABDs or just me! When I read some acknowledgements, I hear how much input some chairs give, even shaping entire project. I've received very little. Just wonderin' :)

RageyOne said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Take it easy.

Mon said...

Thanks bb, I didn't know about the applesauce--that woulda been a nice change to rice and toast and unsalted crackers!!
Text I think it varies a lot. The no feedback thing I hear is not uncommon and some ABDs work better w/ handsoff advisors. I think the best advisors do a good job of balancing good feedback and distance. I know quite a few folks whose advisors are great at turnin around feedback. Jus wasn't the norm for my process unfortunately.