So here is Bardiac's draft and instructions:
Here's the idea: I'll put in five women writers. If you're interested, pick up the list, add five more of your favorites, and drop me a line at Bardiacblogger at yahoo dot com to check your site. With even a few contributors, we'll get a great meme with fewer of my idiosyncracies than if I do it myself. (And yes, it will probably end up Euro-centered, but I'd love to learn more about non-Euro earlier women writers, too, so add them in, please!)
The (draft) REALLY DEAD WOMEN WRITERS meme.
Behn, Aphra - Oroonoko
Christine de Pisan (aka Pizan) - The Book of the City of Ladies
Julian of Norwich - Revelations of Divine Love
Locke, Anne (aka Ane Lok, etc) - A Meditation of a Penitent Sinner
Marie de France - The Lais of Marie de France
As Bardiac notes though, this kind of conversation inevitably centers European women as they have been the center of recovery work in women's literature. Two that I don't believe I've seen around are:
Margaret Fell--Women's Speaking Justified, Proved, and Allowed by the Scriptures (1666)
Mary Astell--A Serious Proposal to the Ladies for the Advancement of Their True and Greatest Interest (1694)
Here are several Africana women from one of my favorite collections (Daughters of Africa) as well:
Ok, back to work for me--I can't wait to see Bardiac's full meme!!Queen Hatshepsut--Speech of the Queen
Phillis Wheatley--Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral
Lucy Terry--"Bar Fights"
2 comments:
Hey Mon,
Thanks for contributing! It's GREAT to see some non-Euro women!
I'm working on putting together the next draft of the meme as I type!
Way to go Bardiac!!
Always lovely to hear your tap sis!
Post a Comment