I've returned to that point where I avoid talking or thinking about the dissertation at any time other than when I'm working on it. Hence the lack of detailed updates. It does warm my heart to know that somehow I am inspiring others through this blog--I never imagined that when I started it. In the spirit of continued truth about this process....
Slowly, I feel myself disconnecting once again from this project. I work on it, and then I stop. I don't think about it, I don't dream about it, I don't look at it or play with it--I don't even worry about my defense my anymore. I just work on it, and then I stop. I work on it and then watch TV. I work on it and then have expensive coffee drinks. I work on it and then go to sleep. It has all become rather routine and more importantly, unemotional. I think this is the first time I've really felt utterly numb and absolutely mechanical about this process. Perhaps that is the nature of revisions for me--I find little emotional stimulation in this kind of writing. I think I much more prefer the emotional highs and lows of generating new text. But revisions have never felt like this. Just______. Blank that is.
I wouldn't say I've hit another wall because I haven't reached a point of stasis. I'm still moving forward. I've read through all the chapters--except the conclusion which I'm saving as the last step in my revisions. Tonight or first thing tomorrow I'll really get into the process of translating my handwritten revisions over to the computer--a process that should take the rest of the week. I also will get moving on typing up my handwritten map of my preface (which is shaping up nicely I think). But there is this weird absence of any feeling at all about the whole thing. So I haven't hit a wall but I'm definitely truckin through some weird mud or something right now. I can clearly see my destination so it is just a matter of moving forward, even though I don't feel anything anymore. Most likely, my senses will be stimulated more after I get this draft back in, but right now I am definitely on emotional autopilot when it comes to the diss....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
April
(42)
- Good Sunday Meme
- I Mean Really Hurts
- My Brain Hurts
- De-Lurkin
- Puzzled
- Nursin
- Mon, This is Your Life
- Wikipedia Meme
- Home Sweet Home
- Well
- Still Survivin
- Survivin
- Good News, Bad News
- And One More Thing--
- Have You Seen a Few Hours?
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Not Happenin
- Not So Bright
- Much Better
- Rain Rain Go Away
- The REALLY Dead Women Writers Meme
- Chipping Away
- Day Off
- A Sorta Google Meme
- Here, Again
- On the Brink
- Constant Supervision
- Friday Poetry
- Canons and Ghettos (a preface)
- Canons and Ghettos...
- Not Really a Wall...
- Mad Real World
- In The Plantation
- Women Writers (pre-1800)
- I Want to Get Away
- Finally
- Friday Poem
- Frazzled
- D-Day?
- Mon's Random Bullets
- New Week
- Sick and Tired
-
▼
April
(42)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
hi, really, your posts have kept me saner than I would be otherwise.
I think I know what you mean about the "blank" - I've never before found such "comfort" in watching dumb tv after - or sometimes even during - the writing process. Do you think it has to do with emotional fatigue? Protection? Perhaps if I had kept a diary of my process, I would not have been as scared of the process as I have been. Now that I am finishing, I can't find it in me to write about my writing, but I do enjoy reading others. After the diss, I would like to try to blog on a more regular basis. Maybe I'll even feel up to reflecting on this entire process... On that note, I'm really really interested in reading the "literary ghetto" posts... and I will weigh in when i can...
as i am also in those final stages of revision, this post really hit home with me. it seems that numbness and emotional distance from this project is exactly what i need to finish it as i've been far too wrapped up in it. it's been so helpful to read your posts and know i'm not so nuts afterall!
Texter, I do think it has a lot to do with emotional fatigue as well as protection and self-preservation. Blogging is something that has definitely helped me through the wide range of emotions that come with this process. I think I will continue to keep a diary of my tenure process, but I'm not sure how much of that will be online.
girlblue--glad to know I'm not the only one too!!
Post a Comment