Summer R & R

This was definitely a week I have to put in the "Loss" column. Way too high in stress and moodiness--way too low in fun and productivity. I also didn't get much sleep this week. Tossed and turned so much last night that I finally just got up and read a book (which was pretty good). But even though I had another night of less that five hours of sleep, I felt really good when I got up this morning. Why? Because I'm going on a mini-vacation!!

My beautiful Dr. J has been wanting us to take a summer vacation for some time now. I have been wanting the same, but with my funny money and the upcoming move, I wasn't ready to think about that yet. I was thinking we'd take a nice break after I moved. Well, Dr. J 's family is going to the Northeast for the 4th and some of my family is in Africa so we're not doing our usual BBQ in the hot sun until after they get back next week. So I was planning to go visit Dr. J in University Town--just to see him and keep him company so he wouldn't be up there all by himself on the holiday. Well at some point around the latest flood, he pitched the idea of going to Very Cool Metro City. Given my bad mood earlier this week, I really didn't care where we went as long as I got to see him--that's all I've been needing all week. But the more we talked about it, the more excited we both got and a two day trip has turned into a four day last-minute vacation. Even though Very Cool Metro City is around the corner from both of us, we've decided to go and be complete tourists. We have tickets for the most popular new attraction in town, and we have plans to catch a baseball game. We'll be doing some major shopping at one of the best malls in the Southeast and eating some good food at places like this that we don't get to go to often. To top it all of, we are not staying in one of our usual hotels--we are treating ourselves to a true vacation hotel. Some of Dr. J's friends from his department will be in town as well so it'll be cool to go out with them--we all had fun at the beach last month. I'm really really excited and glad we turned this into the summer vacation. I have big plans for the hotel pool on Monday!

I think this is what I should be doing with the rest of my summer right? Enjoying myself. There will be plenty of time for work later. I am taking Stewgad's advice and really rethinking my compulsive desire to work all the time. It might be good if I just--oh--actually have a summer for once!

2 comments:

phd me said...

Absolutely! Away with you - and have a fantabulous time!

RageyOne said...

Ohhhh...have a wonderful time! Spending time with a loved one doing touristy things is great!