1. I'm too proud of Professor Me, PhD for doin the dang thing and defending for her degree!! I am too happy to be mad that we didn't get a warning so we could wait in anticipation all day. Proud of you girl!!
2. My dissertation is officially off to the Graduate School!! It feels great to be really really done. I feel like I can truly move on to the other academic work I need to get done before school starts.
3. I ordered my academic regalia today. I stopped into a random alteration shop to get measured and ended up having a funny conversation with the tailor(ess?) who was all in my business. I had an email with the measurements I needed which happened to include the price of the gown--she advised that I was paying way too much for a college graduation robe. Then I explained it was for a PhD, and she just about threw me a party in the store! She was so excited and asked me a million questions about my program and marveled a great deal at the fact that I look so young. But it was fun. She even asked me for advice for her daughter who is considering graduate work.
4. I sent my formal request to the Graduate School to notify my department in New School City that I had completed all the requirements for the degree. I think that was my favorite part of the day.
It is cooler here (because of the new window unit), but the AC is still very much out and looks like it will be for a while--given the estimate we got for the damage today. But I'm just glad it is cooler in here than it is out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
June
(29)
- Summer R & R
- In Progress
- Issues
- Long Yucky Day
- Late Start
- Get It Together
- Now It is Really Official
- Dreamin
- An Official Kinda Day
- Summer Heat
- New Saturday
- Tryin' My Nerves
- Friday Poetry Blues
- Awful Friday
- Draggin'
- What Kind of Girl Am I?
- Summer Schoolin'
- Snooze Meme
- Sigh
- Good Shoppin'
- Summer Socializin'
- Friday Meme
- Productivity
- Mental Aerobics
- And Moses Came Down From the Mountain
- Monday Monday
- Grand Central
- Not Much Writing Here
- Friday Poetry Returns
-
▼
June
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
6 comments:
Congrats on officially sending off the diss and letting New School know! I'm sure that felt good.
Isn't it expensive for that regalia? When I told my sis-in-law how much it cost she said, "are you going to frame the regalia?" I was amazed at all of the customization they offered at exorbitnat, at that!
Sorry to hear abou the AC being out. At least you got a temporary fix.
The only way to get past the cost of the robes is to think how regal, doctoral, professorial, and just plain glamorous you'll look in them. Enjoy! And I would love to see a picture...
Even though they were on "sale" the price was still out of this world. But I am glad I decided to splurge. I can't wait for everything to get here!! I went with the basic black background instead of the university colors ensemble.
Doc, I'm planning a big HGTV/TLC type "reveal" just for you later this summer--stay tuned!!
ahh! the feeling of a job well done ... and completed! good for you!
Congratulations! I hope you end up having many, many opportunities to wear and enjoy your regalia.
Huge, huge congrats Mon! You've made it!
:)
Post a Comment