Tryin' My Nerves

You know what. I need to air this abstract out for a while. So I'm going to give Yvette a little of what she wants and post it while. Maybe seeing it in something other than MS Word will help me get over whatever this mental hump is. (I of course would covet some feedback). I'll leave it up until at least tomorrow.

The Abstract


**Under Construction**

Thanks for the feedback!

5 comments:

Mon said...

Thanks. I really work hard to make my writing clear and accessible, even though I sometimes get flack for it.

It is neat to hear it sounds interesting to someone other than me! I think the topic was fun and it definitely helped me finish.

nubian said...

interesting work. i havent read much about black female politicians--i look forward to reading your book. and i totally agree that the rhetorical choices of black women, ultimately work to offer a different perspective of race and gender, since it is based upon our own experiences.

also, i really enjoy your writing style. i too, try and steer clear of the unnecessary use of so-called, academic words and jargon

RageyOne said...

I agree with the others, it reads very well and I definitely see it fitting in with the part of your diss that I read.

Texter said...

It does sound quite interesting. I already enjoyed your writing style from reading your posts, but I agree with others that this reads very smoothly. I like the juxtaposition of different sorts of texts/registers (and the attention to silence too!) Did you still begin with the s/m pic of Conde Rice? Does an abstract sometimes have a sentence or so for each chap? I guess that is up to each author's discretion. Thanks for sharing! Sounds great.

Mon said...

Thanks gang! You are lifting my spirits this evening!!

Texter--thanks for the questions!!! I did use those images of Rice so I DO need to go back and add that--thanks for picking up on that. Since there were so many chapters/figures/texts, I decided not to do a sentence for each chapter (there's a word limit). I do believe many authors go in that direction. Perhaps it is the influence of social scientific side of my field that makes my abstract more driven to "results" than outlining the details of method/structure. But I did want to make sure all the important terms appeared in the abstract for UMI search engine purposes. So I chose to condense the chapter summaries down to those few sentences.

Good to know it reflects my overall writing style.