I love the coach. She always has great academic commandments. And just right in the nick of time. Today's commandment was especially needed--write regularly. It has been two weeks now since the defense--a month to the day since I printed off that defense copy and finished a crazy marathon of writing. That is one whole month that I've been on vacation--not writing regularly. Now I do feel that I have earned this break, and I don't feel guilty (not generally speaking) for not writing. However, I don't want this break to get out of control.
There was one thing the dissertation was able to get me to do that I hadn't done in four years of graduate school--write regularly. The dissertation process was definitely transformative; it changed me from someone who likes to write to someone who is (becoming) a writer. While I do need a break from that project, I don't need a break from the work of writing. I've seen myself grow so much as a writer since I started my MA in 2001. I feel more confident in my writing, more creative, and more willing to go through the trial and error of public writing. I would like to spend this summer continuing this transformation process into becoming a writer, but the only way that is going to happen is if I keep writing. Imagine that.
So starting tomorrow, it is back to the regular business of writing. Something. Regularly.
Starting tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
June
(29)
- Summer R & R
- In Progress
- Issues
- Long Yucky Day
- Late Start
- Get It Together
- Now It is Really Official
- Dreamin
- An Official Kinda Day
- Summer Heat
- New Saturday
- Tryin' My Nerves
- Friday Poetry Blues
- Awful Friday
- Draggin'
- What Kind of Girl Am I?
- Summer Schoolin'
- Snooze Meme
- Sigh
- Good Shoppin'
- Summer Socializin'
- Friday Meme
- Productivity
- Mental Aerobics
- And Moses Came Down From the Mountain
- Monday Monday
- Grand Central
- Not Much Writing Here
- Friday Poetry Returns
-
▼
June
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
That's cold--you didn't have to throw in the ice cream cake. You know I have a problem with sweets...
Post a Comment