Realization: I cannot wait to be done with this dissertation.
I know that is pretty obvious--who in their right mind would want to stay in the dissertation phase forever?? But as I was trudging through these very quiet and dark stacks today, I realized that I would much rather be researching materials for my classes right now. It took a lot of effort to stay focused on the task at hand today, and while I was successful in completing my research for this chapter, I don't feel completely satisfied,because I wasn't really doing what I wanted to do. I kept making mental notes to "come back to this section for books for my seminar" as I ran into interesting new areas of books I don't normally wander in. I saw a ton of books I wanted to purchase with my start-up funds in the fall, but had to reign myself in and stay on the job of research for this durn chapter.
So I realized today, I am really ready to be a professor. I am looking forward to teaching and research when I am not in the student mode. What ultimately sucks about being a student (even one away from campus) is that you can't research and be completely on your own accord. I'm in the library today, not learning, but looking up sources for my chapter--not because I really think I need them--but because one of my committee members is really anal and has asked for more sources in his/her revisions. Being in the student mode for 20+ years of my life has gotten old--I am tired of doing homework. Today was definitely a homework type day. As I told my soror the other day over lunch, I have been in school since I was like 3 or 4. I am ready to be done. Ok, this is not a new feeling--it is not the most enlightened realization I've ever had, but it hit me really hard today. Being a student has gotten on my LAST nerve and I can't wait to be done. Dr. John tried very hard to be motivational for me today--telling me how proud he is of me for all the work I've accomplished already this week, and that I should be proud too. But regardless of all the work I've done in the past few days, I just don't feel satisfied--I am ready to be DONE with this thing. I am ready to do some real estate shopping; ready to move; ready to have my own office; ready for much more than I have now. 2006 is going to be a great year, Lord willing, since I will finally be done with being a student. I am looking forward to that--very much.
I was going to do some more writing tonight, but my head is swimming and I've been looking at this screen all day. (I did take my laptop down to HBU). I think I will relax and see if I can knock out two of these books tonight....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
December
(43)
- 2005 Meme
- Major Research Day
- Step Away From the Keyboard
- Electronic Dissertation
- Cute
- 2 Days 4 1 More Task
- Chapter Four--OUT!!
- Getting Closer
- Make it a Good One
- Winding down
- Merry Christmas!!
- Onward I Go
- 24/7 Dissertation
- Paper or Plastic?
- Realization
- Back 2 School
- Major Work Done
- Nerdy Things I Love
- Off to Campus
- One Book Down
- Yeah, I'm an Idealist
- Feeling Optimistic
- Just Keep Revising
- Revising Delays
- Sweet
- Back on the Grind
- Silence
- New Publication Plan
- Post-Birthday Blues
- Celebration Time!
- Distracted
- No Creativity in Higher Ed?
- Slow Night
- It's Here! It's Here!!
- Decent Workday
- It's Sinking In
- Get It Done
- Birthday Wishes
- Clean Up Day
- Sending This Bad Boy Off--TONIGHT!
- Small Steps--Good...
- New Look
- My So Called (ABD) Life
-
▼
December
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Right there with you, girl. :)
Post a Comment