Electronic Dissertation

In the not so distant future, my R1 institution will join the ranks of others in requiring that PhD students submit their dissertation electronically. This gives institutions around the world greater access to the work, and I believe allows the clearinghouse to sell your dissertation to whomever would like to buy it. Fortunately, I fall under the ol' grandfather clause and won't be affected by this new "rule." For the time being, I have the option of a paper vs. electronic dissertation.

I personally like the oldfashioned paper route and would like to have an oldfashioned bound copy of my dissertation like I do for my MA thesis. And frankly the hoops you have to go through to protect your work with the electronic dissertation process are a little intimidating. And , despite claims that I'm a machine, I am quite lazy. Paper seems easier and less infringing on my future publication plans.

But maybe I'm missing something. Are there some dramatically wonderful reasons why I should go the electronic dissertation route??

2 comments:

La Lecturess said...

I don't know anything about the logistics of actually submitting a diss electronically, but I do know that all dissertations are made available electronically by UMI, even if they're submitted in hard-copy format. If you go to UMI and do a search, you can generally access the first 20-25 pages of a given dissertation for free, and then pay to get the rest. This is true, anyway, in the humanities.

Mon said...

Ok, I need to go back an reread this info then. My impression was that our electronic process meant that it was sent directly to UMI for the means you indicated, whereas hardcopies were sent to our library and our graduate school. The process you've described sounds more likely--I need to get my facts straight.