24/7 Dissertation

For the next two months, I must eat-sleep-breathe my dissertation if I want to possibly graduate in May. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I must defend by early March in order to graduate in May. So I've added this nice little ticker to my blog to remind me of how very little time there is between now and the end of February (which is when I'd have to have this thing together to defend my early March). Why do schools make such deadlines??

Now fortunately, my job does not require that I graduate in May, so at least I do not have that added pressure. As long as my PhD is in hand by August graduation, the good people at my New School will be happy to start my tenure clock. But I really want to walk across that stage in May. Is it incredibly realistic? Probably not. I'm about a month/a chapter behind where I planned to be at this point.

But I figure, there is no harm in trying. By defending in March/graduating in May, I give myself some genuine time off from school. I finish my dissertation at the same time my fellowship ends, meaning that I don't have to figure out how to pay summer out-of-state tuition so I can graduate in August. If I have to do that, I know I can manage--I'm sure I'll be working this summer--but if I can avoid spending extra money on tuition that could go towards a nice downpayment for a new place in New School City, that would be ideal.

So the pressure is on, and time is running down quickly--will I make it????

6 comments:

Jane said...

Okay, we definitely need to form a support team here. :) Thanks for your comments on my blog-- I see you are in a similar situation (The chair of my committee is leaving the university in May, so I too am working under the gun, so to speak). I'm sure you will make it through, and I will be back to check to see how you're doing! Congrats on the job with the New School. Very, very exciting. Good luck writing, I will see you at the Ph.D. finish line! Okay? ^_^

RageyOne said...

Yes! You can make it! You seem really motivated and from what I read of your blog you work at a pretty good pace. Keep it up and you can do it!

Have faith!

Genealogy Spice said...

Hope you make it. I 'was' working on similar logic as yours i.e. being done by May but it looks increasingly unrealistic. August yes; May unlikely. But having read your blog every now and then for the last couple of months I think if anyone can do it, it's gotta be you. Hang in there...you'll be at the finish line in no time.

*statgirl* said...

I am in the same situation--must defend in March to graduate in May. The jobs I am applying to are on a different timeline and I don't have the luxury of already having a job--so in addition to writing my dissertation and teaching classes, I have still in the craze of the job hunt. So far so good, though, 2 campus interviews schedules for Jan!
We can do it-- the finish line is in sight. :-)

*statgirl* said...

OK..can you tell how weary I am at this point as indicated by all the typos in that previous message.

Mon said...

Thanks everyone--I am all for a support group Jane! Best wishes on your campus interviews statgirl--I know I'd really be going crazy right now if I was still on the market! Hold on, you can do it!!