No Creativity in Higher Ed?

I read an interesting article today by a student at UNLV who argues that a college education often stifles creativity. Take a look. I do know a lot of professors who spend time regurgitating material, and it seems to be a problem likely to occur in the large lecture big institution courses (just from my experience in a Big School environment). I imagine certain disciplines/fields are more vulnerable to this than others (professional programs such as in this student's business classes). So there could be an assumption that liberal arts classes encourage more creativity, but I think that depends on the professor and the course. I would hope that our class discussion and the types of texts I want to use will spark creative thinking--but that has to be balanced against assignments/tests/quizzes and grading which does tend to promote more standardized (YUCK) learning and memorization. I think.

This piece got me thinking--good--and I want to make sure I'm doing as much as possible in my new courses in the Fall to discourage just rote memorization and promote creativity. So I'm tossing a question to the academeblogosphere--How do you encourage creativity in your classroom???

0 comments: