Saturdays--good for laundry, cleaning, and organization, oh and Christmas tree decoration. It was one of those Saturdays for me.
I hadn't anticipated finishing that chapter yesterday so today was a regrouping and goal setting day. I spent some time looking over the draft I have so far for Chapter Four. It needs at least 20 more pages of analysis and a LOT of rewriting--especially since I am adding an additional text to the analysis. So if I work on 2 new pages and 1 page of revising a day, I should be in good shape to get this next chapter out to the advisors before they go away for break. I did a good bit of work today updating my references and looking for new sources. I definitely need to make a library trip this week to check out that reference book I used before. I need some more references/news reports from the 70s on my subject.
Also, now that I have my life freed from the job search, I want to get back to my publication goals. I have a great paper from an English seminar that I would love to get published. It's not exactly in my area but I think it was one of the best pieces I wrote during graduate school. I wrote it in 2003 so I spent some time today researching the novel to see what had been written on it lately. Two pieces have come out since I wrote my seminar paper, one of which begins to touch on some of the issues of genre I discuss in my paper. But I think I can incorporate that and use it as a perspective to "continue the conversation" on this particular text. Perhaps the editors will disagree, but I won't know until I send it out, right? So I'm going to read the two new articles in more detail tonight before I go to bed, figure out how to incorporate them, and then start the work of revising this piece to send out by the New Year.
Other than that, today has been a good day to relax and watch football. I was glad to see Georgia win the SEC title. But I'm a little disappointed by the USC/Texas hype--I'm not sure if either of those teams would be so great if they were in stronger conferences. Now don't get me wrong, Reggie Bush is PHENOMENAL but I mean really--should you win CHAMPIONSHIP games with 60+ point margins? Just sayin--doesn't seem right....Off to watch Florida State finish off Virginia Tech and read these articles before bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
December
(43)
- 2005 Meme
- Major Research Day
- Step Away From the Keyboard
- Electronic Dissertation
- Cute
- 2 Days 4 1 More Task
- Chapter Four--OUT!!
- Getting Closer
- Make it a Good One
- Winding down
- Merry Christmas!!
- Onward I Go
- 24/7 Dissertation
- Paper or Plastic?
- Realization
- Back 2 School
- Major Work Done
- Nerdy Things I Love
- Off to Campus
- One Book Down
- Yeah, I'm an Idealist
- Feeling Optimistic
- Just Keep Revising
- Revising Delays
- Sweet
- Back on the Grind
- Silence
- New Publication Plan
- Post-Birthday Blues
- Celebration Time!
- Distracted
- No Creativity in Higher Ed?
- Slow Night
- It's Here! It's Here!!
- Decent Workday
- It's Sinking In
- Get It Done
- Birthday Wishes
- Clean Up Day
- Sending This Bad Boy Off--TONIGHT!
- Small Steps--Good...
- New Look
- My So Called (ABD) Life
-
▼
December
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment