I'm not sure if I've ever written of this here, but one of my many favorite history books is Leslie Schwalm's A Hard Fight For We: Women's Transition from Slavery to Freedom In South Carolina. I was introduced to this book in a graduate course and it is just such a great example of well-written recovery work and meaningful history. Schwalm captures the voices and experiences of African slave women through the Civil War--women who were not even considered women and definitely were not considered having a voice worth remembering. It is an immensely impressive project. There are a lot of reasons I enjoy this book, personally and academically, and one reason is simply the title--A Hard Fight For We. The struggle that these women went through, and their ability to find personal power during their struggle is amazing to me. And today it puts into perspective my struggle with this dissertation, which becomes so insignificant in comparison and is only even possible because of the hard fight of my ancestors who are represented vividly in this work.
This dissertation is a hard fight for me--today the fight was just to write 500 words. It was a hard fight, and I made it. Every day of finishing this diss is a hard fight to gain this crazy contested thing called academic freedom--but more importantly it is a hard fight of self-preservation, endurance, and determination to just be able to say I made it, I am alive, and I am whole. It is a hard fight to be able to say I've crossed the line to freedom and I don't have to carry this weight any longer. I'm looking forward to my emancipation from this project, but I'm even more grateful to the real fight that has gone on before me to even make my education a reality. I love knowing that these degrees I've earned were never meant for me. I love knowing that the essence of self-preservation, endurance, and determination runs through my veins--passed down from unnamed slave women, to Harriett Tubman, to Maria Stewart, to Ida B. Wells and Mary McLeod Bethune, to Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King and so many many others--to me. With such a strong heritage how can I not fight on. I fight on, I press on, I move on, because I must. It is the legacy I have gratefully inherited--I must continue this hard fight for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
February
(56)
- Two Tough Pages
- Sad News--Octavia Butler
- Working Girl
- BHM: Effa Manley
- Representin' Her Hood!
- The Pseudonymous Meme
- You're Hired!
- Distractions
- Nice Saturday Afternoon
- Technology and Innovation Meme
- What the Best College Teachers Do...
- Spring Break in New Orleans
- BHM: Friday Poetry
- Ahhh
- BHM: Another Teaching Moment
- Bringing it Home
- Need a New Deadline
- Good News, Bad News
- BHM: Teaching Lynching
- House Hunt--Stage One
- House Hunting
- BHM: Black Lit Meme
- BHM: Gwendolyn Brooks
- Jumping to Conclusions
- You Will Know
- Book Meme
- BHM: Black Women in the Academy
- Chapter 7 and Conclusion
- BHM: In This Life Together II
- BHM: In This Life Together
- Conference Submissions Suck
- Happy Valentine's Day
- BHM: Grandmothers
- Little Productivity
- Interesting....
- What's Next?
- Love's Holiday
- BHM: Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- An Early Valentine's Story
- so true--i'll play
- Computer Avoidance Syndrome (CAS)
- Revising Day
- Bad News First?
- Quick Writing Break
- BHM: The Black Press, Pt 1
- Chapter Three
- Interesting Weekend
- Friday Flowers 2
- BHM: Black Voices
- Friday Flowers
- BHM: Black Women's Organizations, Pt I
- I Can Type
- Black History Month (BHM)
- Another Five Things Meme--YES!
- Errand Day
- A Hard Fight for Me
-
▼
February
(56)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Amen. You're doing great work, and you WILL get done!
Post a Comment