Conference Submissions Suck

Man, there has to be a better way to encourage conversations among scholars and professional development!! I have been slaving away all evening on changing Chapter Two into a conference paper and boy has it been ROUGH. I'm still 10 lines too long. And I still can't decide which division of my field to submit to. I'm having one of those moments when being such an interdisciplinary girl is a pain in the behind. I should be submitting something for the area I've been hired to work in, but this just doesn't fit quite right because it is so historical nature and my subarea is really contemporary. Sigh. I'll decide in the morning when I press send I guess.

UPDATE 3:30AM--Ok, I feel better. I got through that new version of Chapter Two and submitted it. Then I worked up a shorter version of Chapter Three for the subarea I've been hired to work in at my New School. Although it may not land because it is a little historical too, it is a better fit because it sites a lot of people in that area. So I feel better now--I always feel better when I press SEND--feels more like I accomplished something today and I can go to bed now. I have my library job interview tomorrow--wonder what I should wear????

2 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Great. It's nice to hear updates of your plugging away. Non-academics have no idea how hard it is to say something new and interesting in 200-300 words in a conference abstract. Sometimes the organizers are kind and ask for 500, or they ask for a 4-page write-up. But that's not always easier (they're just difference sized hoops).

Mon said...

Tell me about it! I hate writing abstracts--probably because I'm not very good at it. This conference asks for abstracts and full papers (25 page limit) so yesterday was a lot of fun let me tell ya!!