The good news is--I have great credit (a litte suprised because I have a good bit of debt) and shouldn't have any problems getting a loan for the area I'm moving too.
The bad news is I don't qualify for any major down payment assistance programs right now (at most I could get $2000) AND my gap in employment before I start a job would be a problem. So unless I hit the lottery or some rich benefactor drops me a dime, it definitely looks like I'll be renting for a while. I guess the main question now is -- how long?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
February
(56)
- Two Tough Pages
- Sad News--Octavia Butler
- Working Girl
- BHM: Effa Manley
- Representin' Her Hood!
- The Pseudonymous Meme
- You're Hired!
- Distractions
- Nice Saturday Afternoon
- Technology and Innovation Meme
- What the Best College Teachers Do...
- Spring Break in New Orleans
- BHM: Friday Poetry
- Ahhh
- BHM: Another Teaching Moment
- Bringing it Home
- Need a New Deadline
- Good News, Bad News
- BHM: Teaching Lynching
- House Hunt--Stage One
- House Hunting
- BHM: Black Lit Meme
- BHM: Gwendolyn Brooks
- Jumping to Conclusions
- You Will Know
- Book Meme
- BHM: Black Women in the Academy
- Chapter 7 and Conclusion
- BHM: In This Life Together II
- BHM: In This Life Together
- Conference Submissions Suck
- Happy Valentine's Day
- BHM: Grandmothers
- Little Productivity
- Interesting....
- What's Next?
- Love's Holiday
- BHM: Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- An Early Valentine's Story
- so true--i'll play
- Computer Avoidance Syndrome (CAS)
- Revising Day
- Bad News First?
- Quick Writing Break
- BHM: The Black Press, Pt 1
- Chapter Three
- Interesting Weekend
- Friday Flowers 2
- BHM: Black Voices
- Friday Flowers
- BHM: Black Women's Organizations, Pt I
- I Can Type
- Black History Month (BHM)
- Another Five Things Meme--YES!
- Errand Day
- A Hard Fight for Me
-
▼
February
(56)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
Renting might be good if it helps you get a sense of where you want to live. What seems like a great neighborhood may not seem so inviting when you realize tons of students party there, or something.
Good luck on saving for a down payment fast, though. It's incredibly hopeful to purchase a house... like investing in your future and the future of your community. It sounds sort of pathetic when I say it, but I'm not expressing it well, alas.
Don't you hate that? It is good that you qualify but just not enough. It is like sticking a carrot out there just out of reach. Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!
I am tryin my best not to be annoyed Ragey--but that good, but not good enough feelin is just that--annoyin. Bardiac is definitely right--no matter how much information I have on the area--I don't know yet how I'm going to respond to living there so renting for a while could be a good thing. And I feel what you're sayin B--I think my feelings of some disappointment right now are because of the sense of hopefulness you speak of.
Post a Comment