Well, today is the last day on my first self-imposed deadline for the dissertation. I didn't make it. Normally, such a statement would be followed by a "sigh" but I don't feel like sighin--I actually feel extremely positive about my progress especially now that I can move calmly towards August graduation.
I just need to adjust my self-imposed deadlines a little. I'll give myself a couple more weeks to finish Chapter Seven and the Conclusion. Once that is done, I'll submit this puppy for format review and make a trip to College Town to "encourage" my CoChairs to get the rest of their feedback to me so I can revise for the defense. At some point today--the ol' counter will change to reflect my second complete dissertation deadline. And I will finish writing this thing up soon!! (Revisions may be another matter but we'll cross that bridge in a few weeks).
I had to take my mom in for an outpatient procedure today, so my mind isn't completely on work right now. Fortunately she is doing fine and the doctor said there is nothing to worry about. While I was waiting, I started reading What the Best College Teachers Do one of several books recommended by academic coach, and so far I like it. The book does not attempt to be a "to-do" book, but rather it is more of a thought provoking study. I am already revisioning the assignments I have for the fall to ensure that they build on students' knowledge rather than just meet requirements. The book is a good affirmation that my in-class teaching style seems to reflect "best practices"--but my assignments could use some work to further encourage student learning. I'm looking forward to finishing this book and I think, for me, it could be something I read for the first few semesters of this new job (and maybe continuing every summer), just to make sure I continue to think critically about what I'm doing in the classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
February
(56)
- Two Tough Pages
- Sad News--Octavia Butler
- Working Girl
- BHM: Effa Manley
- Representin' Her Hood!
- The Pseudonymous Meme
- You're Hired!
- Distractions
- Nice Saturday Afternoon
- Technology and Innovation Meme
- What the Best College Teachers Do...
- Spring Break in New Orleans
- BHM: Friday Poetry
- Ahhh
- BHM: Another Teaching Moment
- Bringing it Home
- Need a New Deadline
- Good News, Bad News
- BHM: Teaching Lynching
- House Hunt--Stage One
- House Hunting
- BHM: Black Lit Meme
- BHM: Gwendolyn Brooks
- Jumping to Conclusions
- You Will Know
- Book Meme
- BHM: Black Women in the Academy
- Chapter 7 and Conclusion
- BHM: In This Life Together II
- BHM: In This Life Together
- Conference Submissions Suck
- Happy Valentine's Day
- BHM: Grandmothers
- Little Productivity
- Interesting....
- What's Next?
- Love's Holiday
- BHM: Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- An Early Valentine's Story
- so true--i'll play
- Computer Avoidance Syndrome (CAS)
- Revising Day
- Bad News First?
- Quick Writing Break
- BHM: The Black Press, Pt 1
- Chapter Three
- Interesting Weekend
- Friday Flowers 2
- BHM: Black Voices
- Friday Flowers
- BHM: Black Women's Organizations, Pt I
- I Can Type
- Black History Month (BHM)
- Another Five Things Meme--YES!
- Errand Day
- A Hard Fight for Me
-
▼
February
(56)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
I'm proud of you for being calm about moving your self-imposed deadlines. You're doing great!
Post a Comment