- Week 1: First look. This will be a pretty thorough read through the entire draft to see how it all hangs together (green pen in hand) and should take a full week at least. I need to make sure:
- The language is consistent throughout the draft--especially my use of the new terms I introduce in the work.
- There are strong topic sentences, appropriate signals, and clear transitions between ideas and chapters.
- The language is clear--not too many prepositional phrases, close subject/verb relationships, concrete words, active vs. passive voice, etc.
- The footnotes make sense--I am not looking forward to this part but I need to read through all of my sources and make sure they are cited properly, and are clearly connected to the ideas in the text. I know CoChair #2 likes to read footnote titles to see if they match ideas and to see if I'm just relying on one source.
- Identify any major holes/Expand on my own assumptions--I tend to assume my reader is with me, so I know there are some spots I could open up my thinking behind my arguments more.
- Incorporate the written comments I get from CoChair this week which are hopefully in the mail.
- Week 2: Beginning and End. Based on my read-through and the comments I get back, I'll likely need to go back to the library and add some things--that'll be a part of phase two. CoChair repeated the idea of adding a foreword, so I'll write that and send it off by the end of the week. Revising and resubmitting Chapters One and Eight will also be high priority so that (hopefully) I can get some more comments back on those pieces before the month is out.
- Week 3: Work the Middle. Finish making changes to the case study chapters as indicated by my first edit and any additional comments I receive--CoChair #1 seemed more interested in seeing this than CoChair#2 so I'll send it back and hopefully she can get through it pretty quickly and get any last comments to me.
- Week 4: Finish it Off. Make additional changes to the foreword, Chapter One, and Chapter Eight. Read through the whole document again at least twice for final corrections (may get some help from some friends on this one). Get the green light to send it off to committee for the defense.
Ready. Set. Revise.
Tomorrow, the revisions begin. I'm getting limbered up now, looking over things and thinking about what needs to be done. I have just a four week window to get this thing ready for an early May defense. Why early May? One of the CoChairs is leaving the country so if we don't get this done before she leaves, I could really be pushing up against the June defense deadline to graduate--sigh. So tentatively, I'm thinking:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
March
(43)
- Friday Southern Poetry
- Not a Hate Crime?
- Under Construction
- Sigh
- Today's Work: Ch 2 & 3
- First Look--Ch. 1
- Ready. Set. Revise.
- Hmmm
- New Look
- The Only One
- My Lovely Grandmothers
- 10 Things Meme
- The Itch
- It's Friday? Poetry Time
- Book Meme 2--Women Writers
- Gimme a Break
- Back Home
- Long Day
- College Town
- Oracle--Shuffle Meme
- Done! Wow!
- 24 Hours
- Get it Out!!
- Mornin Fun
- Chapter Seven--Gone
- Waiting to Exhale
- Labor Pains
- Slow and Steady
- Rough
- Me, Up Early?
- Friday Poetry--For My Sisters
- What's Going On?
- Change of Plans
- Long Day
- Good Night
- Hell Week--The Commandments
- Crunch Time
- Tag...
- Big Day
- It's Friday?
- Major Dent
- Housing Update--Square One
- Rise and Shine
-
▼
March
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
8 comments:
hi, thanks for stopping by! :) I answered you there, but because blog reading has become my new means of procrastination, I thought I'd visit here as well.
Your schedule sounds good. By the way, since I haven't yet, let me formally congratulate you on passing the last hoop. I know you were disappointed in your Chairs' reactions, but really, I think you are moving along quite nicely (but this is someone who has taken more than 2 yrs to finish). Anyway, I hate re-checking footnotes too. So tedious. Well, back to work. Because I gave a paper at a conference today, I gave myself permission to 'rest' but if I want that phd, I shan't rest long! ha.
Sounds like you have a good plan laid out and you're ready to move onto this next phase.
If anyone can manage such a schedule, you can. Go to it!
p.s. where's the counter? i miss it!
also - did the theme already have "voices" as the comment line?
I know my counter was drivin my girl ProfMe crazy so I took it out of this slick new version of the blog--but I'm thinkin of a new way to bring it back (stayed tuned). I changed the default comment line to voices myself--still learnin to play with CSS.
Mon...
Wow. Lovin the new sleek feel. Motivates me to make the changes to mine that I have been wanting to do for a minute now.
Sounds like you have a busy day planned and that you are moving along steadily with the revisions. Good deal.
No defense yet coach. Last milestone was that I finished my draft and went to CollegeTown to meet with my chairs about seting up a defense date. I was charged with the task of spending some more time with the draft--mostly cosmetic stuff so far. Hopefully a defense is around the corner!!
Your organization well-planned schedules are such an inspiration--I would be happy if I could be half as good. You're almost there!
Post a Comment