After feeling quite frustrated yesterday with the cost of living in New School City that is keeping me from getting the one thing I really want--a three bedroom living space--I didn't get much writing done at all. I'm still feeling quite mixy today about the whole thing and in fact, I've written about three posts about it in the past hour about it. But I'm not publishing any of them because they are rather nonsensical as I keep writing in circles. Summary: I feel better and less frustrated now, but I have a lot of questions and concerns that I hope will be answered in my next few trips to New School City.
Any feelings of frustration that I had/have of course are only compounded when I'm not writing and not getting any closer to finishing this dissertation. Being in Hometown is wearing on me and I'm realizing that I got this job in the knick of time--I needed something to give me a change of scenery. After work today, which was fun, I went to The Coffee Shop with my laptop and put a major dent in Chapter Seven. Man, that felt good. A caramel macchiato and about 2000 good words in a couple hours made me feel a lot better. I could actually be done with this last case study by Sunday if my interlibrary loan book comes in tomorrow, but unfortunately, I can't finish the last piece of analysis without it. Still it is so nice to be moving forward again, especially not in slow motion. In Chapter Seven, my argument and overall focus has really moved ina different direction than I had originally proposed. Changing things this late in the game has really delayed the chapter, but (thankfully) it definitely looks a lot better--I just hope the CoChairs will approve.
I would love to follow the same schedule tomorrow, work, then write (away from home), but I have an interview for another job tomorrow and I promised my grandmother I'd take her to the grocery store. The second task alone is guarenteed to eat up my entire afternoon, but if I don't write a lot tomorrow, that will be okay. Today's writing was definitely what I needed to keep me on track for finishing up by the time the CoChairs get back from Spring Break.
Whew. I think today's work deserves an episode or two of Alias.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
March
(43)
- Friday Southern Poetry
- Not a Hate Crime?
- Under Construction
- Sigh
- Today's Work: Ch 2 & 3
- First Look--Ch. 1
- Ready. Set. Revise.
- Hmmm
- New Look
- The Only One
- My Lovely Grandmothers
- 10 Things Meme
- The Itch
- It's Friday? Poetry Time
- Book Meme 2--Women Writers
- Gimme a Break
- Back Home
- Long Day
- College Town
- Oracle--Shuffle Meme
- Done! Wow!
- 24 Hours
- Get it Out!!
- Mornin Fun
- Chapter Seven--Gone
- Waiting to Exhale
- Labor Pains
- Slow and Steady
- Rough
- Me, Up Early?
- Friday Poetry--For My Sisters
- What's Going On?
- Change of Plans
- Long Day
- Good Night
- Hell Week--The Commandments
- Crunch Time
- Tag...
- Big Day
- It's Friday?
- Major Dent
- Housing Update--Square One
- Rise and Shine
-
▼
March
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
4 comments:
Mon, you're doing great. Keep up the writing. It's sounds like you'll be coasting down hill from here. I wound up writing ten pages a day for the final 2 weeks of my dissertation... then, hard to believe, it was done!
Try not to stress so much about your temporary living arrangements in New School City. Think of it as temporary, plan it as temporary. Figure out how you can get to that goal of yours to own a three bedroom living space.
I suspect if you keep that goal in mind, and consider interim arrangements as temporary, that might help you settle with less-than-ideal arrangements, as long as they help you move closer to that endgame.
Thanks ArticulateDad--Great advice. My mom's friends in the mortgage biz are still tryin to find some wiggle room for me, but my present stipend is making that difficult. Maybe if I get this 2nd job, there will be some new hope. Either way--your point is well taken and I'm going to do my best to keep things in perspective in the weeks and months to come.
Oooh! You're an Alias fan?! Something else we have in common! :)
Are you as impatient as I am for the new episodes to start?
Abdmom--I'm a HUGE Alias fan--they hooked me on the first episode and it was the only show I used to watch without fail. I just finally bought season one on DVD in a recent retail therapy moment. However, I really haven't seen much at all since I started the diss--so I'm WAY behind--I saw Vaughn get shot and an episode or two after that--but beyond that I'm out of the loop!!
Post a Comment