Hell Week--The Commandments

I realized after spending several unexpected hours with my grandmother that I probably need to set some rules if I really want to finish this draft. So here's what I'm thinking (I'll be happy to take suggestions as well!):

  1. I shall finish.
  2. I shall write, write, write, and write.
  3. I shall not watch TV for hours on end.
  4. I shall not run errands, go shopping, do favors, or participate in any other time-consuming activities for myself, my family or my friends until this draft is done.
  5. I shall not blog about anything but writing updates. (And I shall refrain from spending time reading blogs, commenting on blogs, and all forms of instant messaging).
  6. I shall not cry--or at least as Zulema would say--if I must cry, I shall cry and write at the same time.
  7. I shall eat, breathe, and sleep at night as needed.
  8. I shall not engage in any conversations with my mother about why I am not done yet.
  9. I shall not overload my phone time with Dr. J with talk of said document or other matters related to my professional future.
  10. I shall do something nice for myself at the end of each day to reward my hard work.

6 comments:

RageyOne said...

Move #10 to the #1 spot and move #4 to the #2 spot.

Mon said...

I'm afraid you shall miss me as I shall miss you profme!

Ragey--much better thanks!

Professing Mama said...

LOL @ the Zulema comment, Mon. Thursday when I was such a mess and trying to finish that frickin' chapter revision, I kept saying to myself, "I don't care if you cry as long as you cry and write!" I think that Zulema quote shall never die.

And yes, you shall finish, and you shall kick some bootie in the process of doing so. I would have said kick-something-else, but I know you don't curse. :)

nubian said...

man, good luck with those commandments. i try and do the same thing....doesn't seem to work.

elle said...

I'm posting these on the wall behind my computer

ArticulateDad said...

Great, Mon... but set yourself lots of little goals as you do this:

I will write another page, before I go to the bathroom.

I will finish this section, before I get another cup of coffee.

I will reward myself with _______ as soon as I ______


The advantage to working alone is that you don't have other people around to distract you (except us bloggers). The downside is there's no one there whose eyes you can somehow interpret as judging you when you procrastinate.

When I was finishing up, my wife and two sons were in the house. I would "lock" myself in a small room for 4-6 hours straight, everyday, and crank out about 10 pages, then emerge to join the family. It was not my usual work space, so it helped reduce the distractions.

Good luck. We'll all be glad for your completion, and your return.