Housing Update--Square One

I had decided on which apartment I would apply for in New School City--Choice Two. I had decided, and was filling out the paperwork until I saw some extremely unfavorable reviews of the complex on-line and discovered a registered sex offender lives on the property. I did like the model they showed and had talked myself into the more centralized location because it would be the most convenient to both of my campuses. But the reality is that I never wanted to live in the heart of the city and I was concerned about the proximity of the property to the one of the area's biggest malls. The on-line reviews indicated that the noise from the traffic was an issue, that there were breakins, and something that I hadn't considered--the proximity to a river sometimes meant the parking lot (and the cars there in) floods when it rains. That's not cool. And sadly, the reviews for Choice Three were WORSE. (Choice One wasn't mentioned but I'm assuming it is because most of the units are still under construction--Dr. J's cousin just moved there so I still feel okay about that property--it is just too expensive).

Now, I do take the internet ratings just like ratemyprofessor.com; I'm sure disgruntled tenants use it as a way to get back at someone, but I was struck by the overwhelming negativity on the comments on both properties--just as I grow concerned when I see allll the comments on a certain professor are negative. I mean what does one do to make a disgruntled tenant? Would people just lie about their cars being flooded?? Regardless of the answer, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving these folks my nonrefundable reservation money, but I'm also concerned that there are not a lot of properties left to see in my budget. I looked more into renting a home today and the prices were just crazy. So I'm feeling stuck--or at least back to square one. Maybe I should let go of the idea of having anything that feels like a home (which for me would mean giving up the two bedrooms and an office plan) and just go back to grad school living for a while with a nicer two bedroom (just my room and an office). I may have to look into a two bedroom at my Choice One and see if they have any left.

I don't know--I'll have to think about it some more. Another trip is definitely in order soon.

2 comments:

phd me said...

You know, something really similar happened when my roommate and I moved to Grad School Town. We found the sweetest house to rent - two bedrooms with separate baths, large living area with good-sized kitchen and an office space off the laundry room. It even had a porch! Just before we put down the deposit, my roommate found out the house wasn't in the best neighborhood; a call to police confirmed break-ins, drug busts, you name it. The policewoman actually advised us, as two single women, not to live there! So, back to square one, a week before classes started - but we ended up with a great apartment two days later. Here's hoping you have the same good luck in your search!

Professing Mama said...

Hang in there, Mon. When we moved to BSUland, it took us three months of looking and multiple trips. We were just about to put down a deposit on a place when the landlord went nuts on us. In retrospect, it was for the best, because we wouldn't have wanted him for a landlord, but at the time it was very upsetting. We began to feel like we'd never find a place.

But we did, and you will, too. Be glad you found these things out now, and hang in there. It *will* work itself out. :)