Wow. I'm not even halfway through the first chapter and first word that comes to mind--wow. Followed by--what a mess! Ok, its not that bad, but my thinking has changed a lot since my last revision of this chapter so it's slow going getting through this piece so far. Of course, I only spent an hour on it in the waiting room so it didn't have my full concentration. But upon further review, it seems that a more reasonable goal for today would be to get through just Chapter One and to sketch out some notes for a foreword/preface. I definitely need to ease my reader into this work a little more because I truly hit the ground running at Line One. I'm thinking about starting the piece with a personal story on my own feeble attempts at politics in high school--sounds really cheesy though. But my sense is that CoChair #2 wants a preface that is somewhat personal and brings the reader into the text and explains a little more why I'm doing this study and what its all about in a nutshell. I think. I need to go read her preface to her first book--she alluded to that a few times so maybe that will better answer my question about what needs to come before Chapter One. So for now, back to my green pen.
Update: I got my first round of comments from CoChair in the mail--halfway there on the reading--she included some additional notes on thoughts she had after our meeting and those are really going to help with Chapter One--yes!! Back to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
March
(43)
- Friday Southern Poetry
- Not a Hate Crime?
- Under Construction
- Sigh
- Today's Work: Ch 2 & 3
- First Look--Ch. 1
- Ready. Set. Revise.
- Hmmm
- New Look
- The Only One
- My Lovely Grandmothers
- 10 Things Meme
- The Itch
- It's Friday? Poetry Time
- Book Meme 2--Women Writers
- Gimme a Break
- Back Home
- Long Day
- College Town
- Oracle--Shuffle Meme
- Done! Wow!
- 24 Hours
- Get it Out!!
- Mornin Fun
- Chapter Seven--Gone
- Waiting to Exhale
- Labor Pains
- Slow and Steady
- Rough
- Me, Up Early?
- Friday Poetry--For My Sisters
- What's Going On?
- Change of Plans
- Long Day
- Good Night
- Hell Week--The Commandments
- Crunch Time
- Tag...
- Big Day
- It's Friday?
- Major Dent
- Housing Update--Square One
- Rise and Shine
-
▼
March
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
I am so jealous. I'm getting ready to start chapter 4, while waiting for advisor to edit chapter 3 (which may end up as chapter 2). i wish i was on final revisions, grr. good luck though. i missed you guys and my daily dose of blogs the last 2 weeks!
Post a Comment