I must regroup and rest up from this weekend's trip so I've decided to take a few days to just go to work, come home, and be a couch potato. I got a taste for some science fiction today, so I checked out a few books from the library. Today, I started Walter Mosley's The Wave--so far it is really hitting the spot and unless it ends horribly, I think I'd have to recommend this one. It was doing a great job of keeping my mind off of the you-know-what with the you-know-whos.
But of course, I'm thinking about how I'm going to handle this whole dissertation revisions issue. My overall feeling about the meeting with the CoChairs is disappointment, not so much because of the delayed defense which does suck, but particularly because of the continued lack of specific feedback. I took notes on my laptop during the meeting but I really didn't need to. After the meeting and the overwhelming vote of confidence that I received on the project, I still feel like I am writing this dissertation without help. The most specific things that I got out of the meeting: 1) my work is good and 2) they are surprised, actually the word was "shocked" that I was able to do so much good work so quickly (as well as "shocked" that I took that job). Beyond those two things, figuring out specifically what I need to do with the project for my CoChairs' satisfaction is still somewhat nebulous.
Here's what I know. There are some inconsistencies in the project, just as a result of writing over a period of time. Some of my ideas have changed since I first submitted Chapters One and Two last summer, so the early chapters in particular need to be updated. And we had a good conversation about those changes, the evolution of my writing, and how writing can be a revelatory process. I've already started working on those adjustments and I shared with the CoChairs where I was headed in making the earlier works fit the more recent ones and they seemed to agree. And of course, there is also the general matter of the writing--the mechanical and stylistic stuff. My CoChairs loved the flow of the piece and my voice in the project and one of my CoChairs started to give me some more specific ideas for polishing up the writing but her comments were limited by the amount of my work that she's read (that is to say, she's less than halfway through--keep in mind I've been submitting chapters since last year). So of course, the writing of the document could go through some more revisions for flow and polish--I am definitely prepared and already in the process of doing that as well. One area of additional concern that I had of course was the length/content. I asked if anything should be cut out since it is so long, but they both said no--everything needs to stay in. In fact, they both thought my revisions might cause the draft to grow a bit as they would like me to consider adding a personalized preface rather than just jumping in to Chapter One.
But to me, all that stuff is comestic and comes with the territory/seems obvious. Maybe I'm just a little thrown off because the meeting was just not what I expected. I had really hoped to hear more about the substance of my work--a subject that has not be brought up or interrogated really since my proposal. I expected more concrete "you must fix/reconsider/redo this" type comments--I expected more attention to deficiencies in the work--but I didn't get that. I didn't get any feedback on my analyses in my case studies (any of them) or on my overall argument--things that I thought were kind of important for this process. I recognize that it is a good thing for a dissertation advisor to struggle to find bad things to say--but it leaves me without a specific point of reference to begin making this work "better." It also leaves me clueless as to potential weak areas/points of contention that I might expect to have to answer at my defense. I don't want to do all this work fixing up a draft and then get to the defense to find out--hey my arguments don't fly. One of my CoChairs has read most of my case studies and she hasn't said anything about the arguments--my other CoChair just hasn't gotten to those parts of the study yet (which is a continued source of anxiety). But really, I think I'm mostly sad to truly learn and see that my decision to take my job offer has impacted the feedback I've received (or haven't received). But I hope that after seeing me and talking about why this was an important decision for me that things will turn around for the better. I am supposed to be inundated with written feedback on the unread chapters in the next week, so I'm just waiting and planning in the meantime. I'll probably spend some time on Friday or Saturday writing a list of things I think I need to do to make this thing better and by Sunday I'll start spending some time with my hard copy and a bright colored pen. But for now, I'm taking a little dissertation break. Anybody got a good meme??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(280)
-
▼
March
(43)
- Friday Southern Poetry
- Not a Hate Crime?
- Under Construction
- Sigh
- Today's Work: Ch 2 & 3
- First Look--Ch. 1
- Ready. Set. Revise.
- Hmmm
- New Look
- The Only One
- My Lovely Grandmothers
- 10 Things Meme
- The Itch
- It's Friday? Poetry Time
- Book Meme 2--Women Writers
- Gimme a Break
- Back Home
- Long Day
- College Town
- Oracle--Shuffle Meme
- Done! Wow!
- 24 Hours
- Get it Out!!
- Mornin Fun
- Chapter Seven--Gone
- Waiting to Exhale
- Labor Pains
- Slow and Steady
- Rough
- Me, Up Early?
- Friday Poetry--For My Sisters
- What's Going On?
- Change of Plans
- Long Day
- Good Night
- Hell Week--The Commandments
- Crunch Time
- Tag...
- Big Day
- It's Friday?
- Major Dent
- Housing Update--Square One
- Rise and Shine
-
▼
March
(43)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
Good reflective post about your experience. I'm curious to know (if you can share or expound) about why the job you accepted had such an impact on your feedback (please ignore if I'm prying).
Have you asked them for specific types of feedback? Like about your arguement? I know that may be a bit much considering one of your co-chairs is way behind in reading your chapters.
How frustrating. I hope this break from the diss will help to clear your mind a bit and give you some clarity as to your next steps.
Ragey--I go to one of the top 3 research programs in my field and the faculty is invested in producing the leaders of the field in terms of research. I was courted by several major research programs because what I do is REALLY groundbreaking for my field (not to be braggy it's just true)--I was in all seriousness a "top draft pick." So for me to "pass up" those jobs is frankly "shocking" to a lot of people. The position I've taken is seen as a step down and quite frankly could make it difficult for me to take a research position later (although I believe what God has for me down the road is mine and no one can change that).
Being a humanities scholar invested in a liberal arts education, it has been difficult for me to buy into the "research is where it's at" attitude. I do understand how research functions in the academy as a vehicle for future mobility but research is not my life. I plan to write and publish but that does not excite me the way being in a roomful of students does. For me to base a career on research alone would be foolish--for me personally. So I chose the position that would keep me at a predominantly undergraduate institution but still afford me time for research so that I can have some future mobility. And I truly believe my job was tailor made for me!! My decision is just disappointing to folks--even to some of my closest friends in the field. Folks seem to believe that you should sacrifice personal happiness and peace of mind (things like location) and just take the "best" job out there. Ultimately, my definition of what is "best" conflicts with how the R1 defines "best." Now I'm lucky, my advisors have not abandoned me as some others have in similar situations and I do feel like I have their support but there is this overwhelming sense of "shock" that is really amazing to me. I could say more but I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible concerning people I really love and respect--we just have a strong difference of opinion about what is important in life/career.
In terms of feedback--I've asked questions and all of my chapter submissions are prefaced with specific questions about what I "need help with"--but the responses are primarily comestic or citation related.
Ahhhhh...yes, I see where you are coming from. Your professors see themselves as producing future professors in their own likensses. I totally understand, we get that here. Some of the professors in my program only talk as if we should only consider jobs at other R1 institutions.
I guess what irks me about that is that "this is my life!" I have to live with what I choose to do and the road I travel. I find it interesting that professors will abandon said protege because the protege didn't quit follow the so-called "yellow brick road."
I am all about personal happiness. If the job is right for the individual that is the most important entity.
I wish you luck in your position. It does sound as if it is tailor made for you.
I'm sorry you aren't getting the correct feedback. I know how frustrating that can be.
Post a Comment