Connecting

Just in time to rescue me from the winter blues, I heard from Wonderful Mentor, who always seems to know just when to send me an email. I miss her terribly. We haven't talked much since I've moved to Gorgeous City due to my move and her promotion/new administrative duties. So it was good to just feel connected again.

I'm mulling over Doc's post about the many things about being a new faculty member that were not surprising to her. Part of me feels the same way--I knew it would be fun and exhausting to get back to teaching after a year off. I knew I'd be super busy. I knew the commute would drive me crazy some days. I knew being so close to home would drive me crazy others.

I did not expect to do much reading, especially after the binge reading I did this summer while working at the library. But I didn't think I would be so behind on my writing goals for the academic year. I've revised a few papers for conferences and submitted a short biographical piece for a collection, but I definitely wanted to have one or two articles under review by now. The positive side is that I never expected to be in a writing group and that has been a wonderful experience--I just wish I was giving them a bit more of my stuff to read! And there is still plenty of time in 2007 thank goodness.

Most of all though, I definitely didn't anticipate feeling disconnected. I always thought of graduate school as this rites of passage process--this thing you have to go through to get through the other side. Perhaps it was just an analogy that worked for me because of my experience in the fraternity/sorority community. I thought that much like Greek-lettered processes, I would come through on the other side and feel more a part of the whole. The whole ivory tower thingy-ma-jiggy. Some days I do--when I'm having interesting conversations with colleagues or students or making new connections to colleagues in other parts of the countries. But most days--when I'm sitting in class or meetings or in my office grading--I don't.

There are a lot of reasons for this disconnectedness--most of which I can't go into here. Undoubtedly a few are my "fault," but many are purely the random result of a weird matrix of organization structure, demography, geography, time, and resources. The challenging part for me right now is negotiating how much energy to place in working on the vague goal to "get more connected." That I don't have the answer to yet.

5 comments:

Bardiac said...

Hey, I just realized you're writing again.

Welcome back :)

Re your last post (because I'm catching up): night classes are TOUGH. There's just no getting around that. I hope things feel better as the semester winds down.

Bardiac said...

PS. I think New Kid on the Hallway had a post a while back about feeling disconnected as a new faculty member, and people had some good responses. I think lots of us feel or have felt that.

Maybe Dr. Crazy at Reassigned Time also talked about the issue around the same time?

Sorry I can't remember more specifically.

phd me said...

I'm guessing that feeling disconnected isn't that uncommon; I mean, you're starting over in so many different areas of your life that you ARE disconnected from many of the things that matter to you. I wish you were finding the connections you need at the new place, though.

I almost feel guilty when I talk to my friends about doing this and that with my group here. We meet up for weekday dinners when someone needs a lift; we check out the local events on weekends; we hang out at our houses on the weekends; we have an academic support/writing group. I know they have made my first year here so much better than it would have been on my own.

I'm not saying this to make you feel worse, though! Despite all of this, I still feel disconnected sometimes, like I'm floating on the periphery of life here with no clear place to settle down. Sometimes I come home at night and wonder where I fit into the whole scheme of things, when I'm not sure of my research path, when I'm the only single one of the group, when I'm far away from my family and friends.

I don't have any wise words to make you feel more connected, excepted to say that you're connected to all the other academics who feel the same way. :) (sorry for the long post!)

Mon said...

Hi Bardiac--Good to be back! Now I'm wondering how I ever stopped! Thanks for the well wishes--I'll have to snoop around New Kid's and Dr. Crazy's cribs to find those posts.

And Doc--don't feel guilty--enjoy and celebrate your support!! It feels good to be reconnecting to you and all of my bloggy friends again!

Texter said...

Yes! Welcome back. I too have been hiding out (it's called tunnel vision : writing) but have recently peeped out and noticed you had a new look and a new title. I like it!
I have always been impressed by those of you who can sustain blogging and writing professionally, and teaching. I'm finishing diss, and teaching and I often find it difficult to have the energy to post too... so... I think they could work together, but I haven't found the key. Anyway, good luck working toward your new year goals.