She's Been Bitten

I'm back in Hometown. One good meal already, and I'll have another one shortly. Always the biggest pro to coming home--it is like a resort with a great meal plan. Of course here, you pay for food in ways other than money....

Lani and I never connected over the holidays to exchange gifts and so the gift she left for me has been sitting here all this time (I didn't realize it has been quite so long since I've been home). So the first nice surprise of the day was to find some gift cards waiting for me for two of my favorite stores (especially nice since I've put myself on a shopping probation).

But the second surprise of the day is that the wedding bug has officially bitten my mother who has otherwise been (relatively speaking) very calm and demure about this whole event. Today, we are exactly one year away from the wedding, and it seems like the year mark has come just in time for Mom (who of course did not understand why we picked a date SOOO far away). This evening, I think I received one "how are you doing" since she got off work--just about everything else has been wedding-related. She's got brochures, she's got business cards, she's got questions, and she's got--her list. The one point of future conflict that I was not looking forward to. Her list has close to 100 people. We're trying to stay in the neighborhood of 150-175. Now there is a great deal of overlap between her list and my own (the one I haven't started on officially yet), but the remainders definitely exceed the 20 or so guest we were going to slate for each of our mothers. So this is going to be interesting. Mom has already decided we need to have at least 200 people, and she is offering to "pay for her people." That's all good and everything; however, Dr. J and I really chose the number we did in an effort to celebrate our day with the people who matter to us as a couple--not just a bunch of people we know individually. I'm looking forward to talking this over with him, but he's at work (darn that new job)! So in the meantime, I'm fielding questions on matter number 2--the dress.

My mother's main wedding department is supposed to be the dress. Unfortunately, this means that I can only say so much. The plan is to go and order the dress while I'm here. Recall that I found THE dress that I love some time ago. Well apparently, Mom and the wedding bug have been scoping out the boutique. She believes a dress very similar to mine is in the window and she went by after work one day and took a picture (which is hilarious because the owner is very particular about cameras and her dresses). So she has decided that rather than just going by to order the dress I've already picked out that we should definitely set aside some time to try on some more dresses while I'm in town. I'm not convinced.

I think Mom and the Wedding Bug are going to tag along to my photog appointments on Saturday. I have four vendors to see, and I'll be sure to post lots of info on what will be a very busy Saturday. For now, it is back to eating home cooked food and grading.

0 comments: