P.P. #2: Dean and Martin
Our meeting did not disappoint. I met with Dean only because Martin's wife just had a new baby (of course he has already posted photos on their site). He's young and fresh and everything about their new studio is contemporary and modern. They take classic pictures but also have a youthful edge that I love. Dean at least seems like someone who I could have gone to school with--just about my age, very down to earth, and very intuitive. It almost seemed more like he was interviewing me to see if we would be a good fit--which I loved. Dean and I probably chatted for close to an hour, and he gave me some wonderful advice on things to look for and how to make things like family pictures go as quickly as possible on the big day. There was music playing overhead when I came in and he asked me what my favorite album was. He ran upstairs for a minute and the next thing I know, it is playing overhead. So I've indoctrinated someone else to Kindred the Family Soul, and he loves it!
Pros: Young. Fresh. Very skilled. Laid back and comfortable--I feel like we would enjoy having them as a part of our day. Sensitive--I felt that he conveyed on a number of occasions that he was understanding of where we are in the process of planning and he offered a ton of advice and ideas for planning our day to run smoothly (and to have time for us to spend together as a couple). Talking to Dean also did a little good for my ego--he made me feel beautiful and sophisticated in a subtle way that I think would show in how he took our photos.
Cons: Again, price. As two independent, young, professional photographers (who have their own separate families to support) working together, their prices are actually above Lois and Clark. Also, some of their albums were out for cleaning so I couldn't get a full range of what they do productwise. My sense was that the albums I did see were a bit more conservative then what they normally do--I wanted to see more of their "edgy" work.
P.P. #3: Lucy
Truly, I love Lucy. As a person that is. Lucy is a very young photographer. She's been working in the industry for a while as an assistant, but has only started working on her own in the past year. Unfortunately for me, her work shows. Although she was extraordinarily nice, we did not have a particular long meeting (we met at her home which is gorgeous). I did not have any poignant questions to ask and found that when I did, I often received answers that left me at a loss.
Pros: Price--of course as a photographer who is just starting out (and who doesn't do this full time) she is able to offer great deals. Her top of the line package is several hundred dollars below where many photographers start their basic package. Personality--a real sweetheart who is genuinely passionate about her work.
Cons: Equipment is very basic. Horrible Black & White photography. And when I saw horrible, I do mean that very seriously. Rather than showing a range of black and white, many pictures were just gray. The color pictures were often flat. Album layouts were very conservative and uninspiring.
In the words of Mom, "oh no."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(108)
-
▼
March
(37)
- Can't Slap 'Em On
- 20 Questions Meme
- Working Order
- Cause for Concern
- Cool
- Rest and Relief
- Pins and Needles
- Emotions
- Stuck
- TGIF
- Good Decision
- Photo Finish
- Recovery
- Lesson Learned
- Personal Day
- Writing Progress?
- Gotta Work it Out
- Waiting for My Date
- One Word Only
- Moving Slow
- Good Questions, Katie Couric
- Mission Impossible
- Office Meditations
- Oh Break, Where Did You Go?
- Camera Ready 3
- Camera Ready 2
- Camera Ready
- It's Dress Day!
- She's Been Bitten
- Wednesday
- To ________, Or Not To __________
- Getting Back to Work
- WHM: Political First
- Guilty Pleasures Meme
- WHM: Women in the Pulpit
- Women's History Month
- Connecting
-
▼
March
(37)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment