Camera Ready 3

P.P. #4: Alton Brown
My day long marathon with photo folks ended with an hour long lecture by Alton Brown in a small studio even further out in the country than the first appointment of the day. Although he is probably a very nice guy, the Alton Brown-type guy got on my last nerves. It was partially the rhetorical situation of course; it was the last part of a long day, and I wanted the "quick and dirty." Instead, I got a line by line explanation of all of his packages, albums, contracts, and his work with his "girls." Every bride he worked with was referred to as "girl" which also got on my last nerves. Again, very nice guy--he showed us a lot of different types of photo albums, a slide show, and we even got to peek at his computer where he does his post-processing work.

Pros: Colorful array of photos and albums. Comparable prices and packages to #1 but provides more options and greater flexibility. Really nice guy. Good equipment. Solid amount of experience.

Cons: All of the photos were very similar--very straightforward with a bit of a modern twist. Very little experimentation with angles or lighting or perspective--relied heavily on computer tricks to manipulate photos rather than setting up unique shots manually. Calls grown women "girls." Part of a husband/wife team yet the wife left 5 minutes into the meeting and came back and hour later (when he was STILL talking).

*************************************************

After quite a long Saturday, you would think I would be exhausted--well I was. Mom was a trooper and hung with me, but she complained so much about being tired, that I was completely shocked she wanted to go to a bridal show on Sunday after church. So we went before I left town and I had the opportunity to speak with three or four more photographers, none of which had the quality of Lois and Clark or Dean and Martin, but many of whom had comparable prices. My growing sense is that this is the new market rate for photos of the quality that I want, so it is looking more and more like our #1 team--Lois and Clark is going to be the selection in this crazy process. Hopefully we'll have it all figured out by the end of the week!!

0 comments: