I'm slowly realizing how big an impact my schedule this semester is having on my emotional state. I did not know that just one long day in my week could so greatly alter my mood. But I have come to the conclusion that my Tuesdays are just terrible.
Typical Dr. Mon Tuesday:
8AM-10AM: Get up -- get dressed (and try to have breakfast) -- take the 30 minute commute to campus.
10AM-12PM: Prep for class, answer emails, make copies (general office stuff). I have attempted to minimize this time period and just take my time getting to the office, but I've found that the less time I have to get mentally ready for class, the more rushed and disconnected I feel throughout the entire day.
12PM-3PM: Teach back to back sections of my Course for Majors. I enjoy this class a lot but it is very high energy and extremely interactive. I'm usually worn out by the time I finish.
3PM-4:30PM: Meetings. It should be that only once a month I have a Dept. meeting or some other university meeting, but in reviewing my schedule, we've had mtgs 2-3 times a month this semester due to various searches and planning needs.
4:30-5:30PM: Eat and reorganize my thoughts for my next class.
6PM-9PM: Teach my Speciality Course. I was really jazzed about this class but I've found that it is a tremendous drain to 1) teach at the end of a long day--2) talk to silent students who are at the end of their long day--3) talk to students who are reluctant to discuss (outloud) anything that is new and unfamiliar. (That's for another post).
9PM-10PM: Arrive back at home. Eat. Try to spend some quality date time with Dr. J before passing out. Every Tuesday I get home, I'm exhausted--no matter what adjustments I make to my schedule.
On Monday I told Dr. J that I hate Tuesdays. And I really meant it. Tuesdays shape the tone for my whole week, and I spend Wednesday and Thursday trying to recover. I like working out to start my day, but as the semester goes on, I've found all of my Wednesday gym time has been pushed from morning to late Wednesday night.
The good news is--we are halfway through the semester. Although my schedule next semester has its quirks, I won't be in this situation again. I've realized that as a department newbie, while it is important to be vigilant of your time commitments, it is also important that you are careful about guarding your schedule.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Goodness! That is a very long day. I would dread Tuesday's as well.
Post a Comment