Coming Up for Air

I miss blogging. I miss a regular writing space. I miss reading what's going on with Ragey and Bright* and phd me and elle and Stewgad and all the gang.

Reality is these days I'm just trying to breathe. It seems that the many things pulling on a new young professor are catching up with me. My first semester was great--full of optimism and excitement. But lately, I've been suffering from some serious late winter blues--missing Dr. J--trying to stay on top of grading--dealing with the realities of being a teacher-scholar--just hasn't made this the best time of my first post-dissertation year.

But slowly I'm finding time for me. Since late December I've been working out three times a week (which is a BIG deal for anyone who knows my history of NO exercise). It feels good to take time for myself and each month I'm trying to add a little bit more good stuff for me and take out some of the unneccessary stress (like spending too many hours on grading). For the past month or so I've been taking more time in the morning to read and have breakfast. I'm not successful everyday yet, but it feels really good when I take time to start my day without rushing. I hope I can slowly incorporate blogging into my daily schedule again. It may be a while, but eventually I think I'll get there.

And of course, as we are approaching the one year mark to the wedding (how quickly these six months have gone by), I'm starting to feel the pressure to get things done for the wedding. We have a wonderful wedding consultant and we've made a deposit on our venue. Since Spring Break is coming up, I hope to get my dress ordered and start the work of looking for a photographer (something I know I'm going to be super picky about). I'm looking forward to the wedding, but I really just want to get to the point when Dr. J and I can be in the same place and start our life together. That's all I really want right now. And as much as I love Gorgeous City, it is starting to really become a drag being here without him.

6 comments:

phd me said...

And we miss you! Yeah, the first year is a crazy year, and you have more going on in your life than just adjusting to non-grad student life -- good stuff, but still requiring lots of mental effort. You have to take care of yourself, though - and a big "whee" to you for exercising, since I can relate to starting the sweating very well - and if blogging is a part of that, so much the better for us!

Leslie M-B said...

I'm hoping it's appropriate to say "Welcome back!" instead of just "I missed you!" I'm sorry to hear you're overwhelmed. Hang in there.

comebacknikki said...

Wow. It sounds like things are really crazy right now. Take care of yourself & Dr. J... we'll be here waiting to read when you have some time to come back! :)

elle said...

hey!! it's good to hear from you.

i hope that the blues are brightened quickly

RageyOne said...

welcome back! it will good to hear your voice 'round these parts once again.

Professing Mama said...

Hey! So glad to see that you are back! I saw your comment you left at my place and just hadn't responded.

I have an email to you half-drafted, sitting in my gmail. I started to write it, but then the very next day lots of stuff changed that rendered it moot. It seemed to overwhelming at the time to revise. Again, it's that whole adjustment thing. I'll have to rewrite a new one and see how you are doing!

So good to read you again!