At several points in my life (mostly prior to the PhD pursuit), I've considered going to law school. This MSNBC article, "Third Year Law School: Jury's Out on its Value," was a reminder that if I was going to do it, I should have done it before this PhD business, not after. Because of course, NOW they want to make it more rigorous. Not that I'm anti-work, but let's face it, I've put in 20+ straight years of school. If I go for any more, I want them to be as painless as possible. I've watched at least one person go through 3rd year law, and man, he didn't do a durn thing that year. The only reason he was at all busy was that he was getting a dual MBA degree. Why did I have to go the route were school only gets more strenuous as you go along??
Dissertation work is moving slowly today. The reality is that I need a good night's sleep for a change. While the week started productively, it has since been on a rollercoaster of highs and lows, largely due to the fact that I need some sleep. So I'm going to finish this section I'm working on tonight (so far I've written two pages), and then I am turning off the phones and going to bed. I am not setting my alarm clock; I'm just going to sleep until my body is ready to wake up. (Those who know me know this is dangerous business, as I have set a few sleeping records in my day, but it must be done). Tomorrow I will move on to tackling the third major section of Chapter Two. I am still aiming to meet my goal of finishing a draft of this chapter this week, although I recognize that some serious revisions are going to be in order for next week. The extensive literature involved in this chapter is time consuming and boring, and I am looking forward to Chapter Three when I can FINALLY begin working with some primary texts and analyzing media reports. Chapter Two has taught me that I probably could not write a standard textbook, especially for a survey course--there is just too much tediously uninteresting work involved. (Hats off to those of you who write textbooks).
I'm such a nerd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
August
(28)
- Almost There
- Back on Track!
- Hurricane Katrina
- School Starting Well Wishes
- Waiting to Exhale
- The Trade-Off
- Progress Was Progress
- Mental Distractions--What Comes Next?
- Just For Frankie
- Sustenance
- Chapter Two, Section Five
- Last Week of August
- Has Saturday Night Come to THIS?
- Long Day, Longer Night
- What Had Happened Was
- Stay-Puft Marshmallow Chapter
- Another Run at Chapter Two
- 11.5 Hours Later
- OK, Gotta Get This Off My Desk
- Five Pages!
- Why Didn't I Go To Law School?
- Better Start
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Libraries, Printers, and Sigma News
- Potential Publication #1: Problematic
- Balancing Dissertation and Publications
- Employed But Can't Spell
- Moving On 2 Chapter 2
-
▼
August
(28)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment