I've hit my first major wall on the dissertation. I've been reading everyday and doing a little writing (paragraphs at a time), but I have not been able to make the headway I've wanted to on Chapter Two. I'm giving myself one more week to get this thing out of my system.
In the meantime, I've done my best to stay productive in other ways. I am working on the nineteenth century piece, and I realized that it may be more suited for a history journal than the major communication outlet I was thinking about. Of course an added bonus is that I can keep it in Chicago if I send it to history and I have less work to do on the revisions--its a very strong (I think) archival piece--so I WILL send that out by Friday.
Last night I started work on my teaching portfolio. I have completely trashed my old philosophy statement--it was clearly written to fulfill some assignment because it has very little of my personality in it at all. So I went through all of my old emails that I have saved from students who write me at the end of the semester to say how much they enjoyed the class. It was heartwarming and almost made me miss teaching (that feeling quickly passed--I'm enjoying the fact that I don't have to copy syllabi in a couple weeks). I found some common themes in the emails--my classroom environment is one that is seen as being comfortable for such a high anxiety course (public speaking), my organization/preparation, and my attitude/enthusiasm. As a result, I'm thinking about organizing my teaching philosophy statement around these themes--trying to come up with some good alliteration or something. Right now I'm thinking of "P" words (I don't know why that letter came to mind first)--planning, preparation, performance, passion, peer-support/evaluation--I don't know--still in inventional stages on this one, but I'm feeling good about this direction.
I would love to say that I'm going to write, write, write, today, but let's be real. I will be proud if I can get through these paragraphs on Maria Stewart and Phillis Wheatley--that would be fabulous progress for today. We'll see...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
August
(28)
- Almost There
- Back on Track!
- Hurricane Katrina
- School Starting Well Wishes
- Waiting to Exhale
- The Trade-Off
- Progress Was Progress
- Mental Distractions--What Comes Next?
- Just For Frankie
- Sustenance
- Chapter Two, Section Five
- Last Week of August
- Has Saturday Night Come to THIS?
- Long Day, Longer Night
- What Had Happened Was
- Stay-Puft Marshmallow Chapter
- Another Run at Chapter Two
- 11.5 Hours Later
- OK, Gotta Get This Off My Desk
- Five Pages!
- Why Didn't I Go To Law School?
- Better Start
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Libraries, Printers, and Sigma News
- Potential Publication #1: Problematic
- Balancing Dissertation and Publications
- Employed But Can't Spell
- Moving On 2 Chapter 2
-
▼
August
(28)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
What a wonderful way to think about your teaching philosophy! I love the "P's" and the fact that the core is the feedback you have received from real students.
Side note: My mother (and all her sibs, and many of the other Blacks) went to Phillis Wheatley high school in Houston. Do you know how many other schoola across the country are named after her?
Post a Comment