Tonight I was overwhelmed with the need to find a J.O.B. In between sentences on Chapter Two, I have been all over job sites, university sites, and googlin up a storm, looking for assistant prof and post doc positions. The market is just not lining up for my area, and I'm slowly starting to let go. I put a lot of energy into researching postdocs tonight. I found quite a few--mostly at the Ivies, but also at a number of large research, public institutions--almost all of them in places I wouldn't mind living (which is a sharp contrast to the asst. prof. jobs I've seen in my field). So my one folder devoted to application materials for an assistant professor position at a very nice Liberal Arts College has now been joined by three more folders for postdocs. Now I'm up to four applications--far from enough for me to feel like I know what's next--I'm thinking that I'll add four more postdocs to that group in the next month or so. There are four positions that I've been looking at for a while, but the institutions have not put out their applications yet. Although the postdoc applications are currently outweighing the assistant professor positions by 7-1, I'm still not feeling settled one way or the other. I know that at least one discipline that my work correlates with does not start announcing jobs until mid-September, so the assistant professor pile could make a comeback in a few weeks. For the time being, I have one application to complete each month starting in October.
Because of course, I needed something else to do right now.
In the meantime, the battle with Chapter Two continues. Progress is slow tonight, but progress is progress.
Edited at 2:00AM Word count: a measely 600 words--I quit--goodnight....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
August
(28)
- Almost There
- Back on Track!
- Hurricane Katrina
- School Starting Well Wishes
- Waiting to Exhale
- The Trade-Off
- Progress Was Progress
- Mental Distractions--What Comes Next?
- Just For Frankie
- Sustenance
- Chapter Two, Section Five
- Last Week of August
- Has Saturday Night Come to THIS?
- Long Day, Longer Night
- What Had Happened Was
- Stay-Puft Marshmallow Chapter
- Another Run at Chapter Two
- 11.5 Hours Later
- OK, Gotta Get This Off My Desk
- Five Pages!
- Why Didn't I Go To Law School?
- Better Start
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Libraries, Printers, and Sigma News
- Potential Publication #1: Problematic
- Balancing Dissertation and Publications
- Employed But Can't Spell
- Moving On 2 Chapter 2
-
▼
August
(28)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Special,
Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blogs. Your language is so poetic...I especially was feeling the one about symbiosis and stuff! Haha, as you can see this comment was far from poetic/academic--its really just a note from a "special" friend to a "special" friend.
Post a Comment