Didn't get much dissertation work done today. I'm exhausted. But to feel productive, I started the annoying process of switching from Chicago to MLA. Actually got through it all. As I was going along, I started actually reading the piece and it needs much more work than I was wanting to put in. I don't even agree with some of the arguments in this piece anymore (its from my MA thesis, just two years old). I thought this was one of my strongest chapters from the work, but it sounds like crap. This is why I'm not published--I can't get anything off of my desk because I feel like everything is in need of too much revision. I'm not just being a perfectionist--sections of this paper need to be rewritten, and I don't know if that is a good use of my time this early in the dissertation process. I may need to look around my files and see if another piece is closer to being sent off.
My #1 priority right now is this dissertation and I am continuing to feel like the idea of a job search is exerting too much external pressure to focus on other things. I do not have any sense of peace about applying this year. Yes, they are all things that will benefit me professionally, but they are extremely distracting from what's most important right now--getting the degree completed this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
August
(28)
- Almost There
- Back on Track!
- Hurricane Katrina
- School Starting Well Wishes
- Waiting to Exhale
- The Trade-Off
- Progress Was Progress
- Mental Distractions--What Comes Next?
- Just For Frankie
- Sustenance
- Chapter Two, Section Five
- Last Week of August
- Has Saturday Night Come to THIS?
- Long Day, Longer Night
- What Had Happened Was
- Stay-Puft Marshmallow Chapter
- Another Run at Chapter Two
- 11.5 Hours Later
- OK, Gotta Get This Off My Desk
- Five Pages!
- Why Didn't I Go To Law School?
- Better Start
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Libraries, Printers, and Sigma News
- Potential Publication #1: Problematic
- Balancing Dissertation and Publications
- Employed But Can't Spell
- Moving On 2 Chapter 2
-
▼
August
(28)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment