The Increasing Mess That is My Job Search

My first annual academic job search is going full steam ahead. Unlike a couple months ago, I think I'm finally committed to seeing this thing through. The score to date:

Tenure Track Positions: 7
PostDoc Positions: 8

Relatively small count compared to the 50 and 60 applications I hear folks in English send out around MLA. But it's more than enough for me. I realize my odds of landing a job decrease with the smaller selection pool, but I just can't bring myself applying to places just based on name recognition or prestige in the field. I've kicked a few out of my original pool and decided on positions where I could actually see myself. It's a motley crew of interdisciplinary postdocs and jobs--with a few in my field at liberal arts and research intensive institutions. For the first time in this search, I'm pleased with my selection, but I'm ALL over the place. There's no clear sense of what I really want to come out of this mess. But that's okay for now. Got that second cover letter drafted and sent out for feedback tonight. Now I can sleep.

0 comments: