- Good advice from the Chronicle
- A more philosophical approach: Iowa State CELT
- Practical tips for brainstorming from University of Hawaii (Great website on portfolio preparation)
- Helpful ideas from Washington University
How to Write: Teaching Philosophy Statement
Since I complained about cover letters yesterday, I thought I'd be more positive about another piece of the application process--the teaching philosophy statement. Sadly, a lot of ads I see don't explicitly ask for one--I appreciate the universities that say they definitely want a statement of your philosophy for the classroom as opposed to the more generic "evidence of teaching effectiveness." The assistant professor positions I'm interested in are primarily because of the classroom opportunities, so I feel more comfortable knowing that the search committee is actually interested in what I'm bringing to the classroom (you know, those little rooms that keep universities from being a completely corporate building with a football stadium). Disgressing again. So far, I'm happy with the draft of my statement that I came up with. It still needs work, but it is organized creatively and captures the best parts of my teaching personality. I have a few samples that I received from my university's teaching excellence center that were EXTREMELY helpful. There are lots of nice links on the web too:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
September
(29)
- As of Yet...
- End of the Month Reflections
- 15 Day Hold
- The Increasing Mess That is My Job Search
- How Do You Know What You Know?
- Back in Business
- Diggin In--3 Hard Pages
- How to Write: Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Feelin Good About Just Writing
- Three Page Goal
- Slow Progress
- Teaching Portfolio--Weekend Plans
- Teaching Portfolio: Sample Syllabi??
- A Divo...
- Queen of To-Do Lists
- Getting Organized
- Becoming a Professor...
- Back to Life, Back to Reality
- On Vacation
- A Lovely Day
- Chapter Two--OUT!!
- Exhale
- Direct Hurricane Aid Opportunity
- Don't Wanna Talk About Katrina
- So This is "That" Chapter
- No Weekend for Me
- Still Revising
- Obsession (not the fragrance)
- So Close
-
▼
September
(29)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment