Don't Wanna Talk About Katrina

I can't watch the news anymore and I really get upset when folks start talking about all that is and isn't being done. Not because I'm mad at them for talking about it, I'm just mad there has to be a conversation at all. Why is it that we can help brown people all over the world, but not the ones who are involuntary minorites in this country (let me not get on that box). To the point--I've become almost allegeric to "Katrina Aftermath" and I haven't been sure why. I think Stewgad has best expressed many of my feelings so I'm linking to her post...Pretty Hard, Dammit: Yet another Hell, Same Handbasket

I missed the radio address from the mayor in New Orleans the other morning--I heard it was dangerously mad as well. Any good links out there to the transcript??

I applaud all organizations and individuals who are stepping up in the face of this crisis. I'm glad that many have realized that surely there is more we can all do besides "send cash." I spoke to one former colleague on-line and asked how I could help--he said, just talk to me, give me some connection to the world outside of this. So like everyone else, every day I am looking for new ways to help and I am relieved to see so much effort in my area already.

I'm praying--I'm praying hard on this one.

2 comments:

RageyOne said...

You can hear Nagin's rant on CNN.com.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I really hear you. There will be consequences for many years to come behind this.