Too Heavy a Load

Apparently it is still fashionable to use racist slurs such as "jigaboo." I mean I knew it was still okay to call a woman (especially a Black woman) a "ho" for no reason. There are all kinds of examples of that sexism EVERYDAY. But even cynical me was taken off guard by jigaboo. I thought folks had become more creative in their racism in the 21st century. Silly me.

Kudos to the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) for condemning the remarks of nationally syndicated radio host Don Imus and producer Bernard McGuirk. In their Friday release:


The National Association of Black Journalists remains outraged after the racially inflammatory insults made by radio personality Don Imus, even though the shock jock offered a two-line apology days after he called members of the Rutgers women's basketball team 'nappy-headed ho's.'

NABJ is calling for the immediate removal of Imus and his WFAN producer, Bernard McGuirk -- who referred to the players as "jigaboos and wannabees" -- by Monday morning.

Imus and McGuirk in their comments compared the predominantly Black Rutgers' women's basketball team to the Toronto Raptors, saying these women looked "rough" while Tennessee's girls were cute. Of course, as is also fashionable, Imus issued a two line apology for opening his mouth when he should have kept it closed.

Whatever. Despite my tone, I'm really over what he said already. I was shocked and appalled for a bit, but more annoyed by the way the story has already been brushed over. Since 2007, began, we've all been bombarded with media coverage of "remarks." Ann Coulter, Isaiah Washington, John Edwards, Rosie, the ladies at the View, Trump--when it comes to insulting just about every demographic in the country, the media is quick to parade around celebrities' racist, sexist, homophobic, weightist words.

But as quickly as this story has arisen, it seems to already be dying. Is it that the press is slower to criticize its own? Especially a host whose show runs on MSNBC (who issued their usually lame apology) and carries major sponsors like the New York Times? Is it because people just choose to give a pass to an "old loud mouth"? I mean is it really okay to overlook and ignore what someone says just because they happen to have a career full of ignorant remarks?

I find myself coming back to Deborah Gray White's Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves. White documents a number of Black women's groups who realized that too often, no one would speak for Black women other than Black women. It is a heavy load. One that seems even heavier today for the women of Rutgers basketball, who, despite their hard work, talent, and accomplishments, have to carry with them these comments. These comments are not just about race and gender, but also very much about class (urban New Jersey vs. College Town USA Knoxville) and sexuality (marginalized for being seen as too masculine or asexual or lesbian). These comments continue to show that the atmosphere for women and people of color in this country is slow to change. I am glad that the NABJ is speaking out--as well as Rutgers and ESPN. Will there be other voices? Will there be further actions taken?

1 comments:

Bardiac said...

Sometimes, the mind boggles.

You make a really good point about not overlooking or ignoring people who've had a long history of making stupid remarks. I think too often that's the easy response, at least among folks I know. We (well, me? white, liberal types, academic maybe) want to think that what's said was so stupid that no one is actually paying attention. But people do listen to Coulter and Imus and stuff, and absorb and believe what they say. (I hadn't heard about this, probably because I don't follow sports.)